Beech hedge brutally singed by builders fire!

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Callanderkath, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Callanderkath

Callanderkath Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Gardeners, I'm new to gardening and new to here. so appologies if this is in the wrong place?!
    I had some building work done over the summer, and the builders were burning rubbish in the garden in a brazier, however I came home one afternoon to find the fire brigade in my garden putting out an out of control fire caused by builders not paying close attention to the fire. It had caught a pile of garden rubbish. As a result a section of an old established Beech hedge has been badly singed, the main trunks look fine but all the green leaves were burnt and now, late March most of the twiggy bits that provide the screening look dead and have orange spots (i suspect fungus on dead wood) Has anyone experienced a burnt Beech hedge recovery?? Does anyone think it might come back to life over the next couple of years?? The damage happened in late June and now I do not see much in the way of buds.
    I am very worried as the garden is enclosed by beech hedging and I may be new to gardening, but I know it will be a big expensive job to replant a section of hedge.
    Many thanks for any helpful advice. DSCI0037.JPG DSCI1477.JPG
    The first picture shows the aftermath, bear in mind the hedge was in full green leaved hedgeness prior to the fire. The second picture is of the branches today. Hope they help?
    Callanderkath

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

It's not looking hopeful is it :sad:

Give your house insurance a call and they should be able to make a claim against the builder's insurance :fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,628
      I'd wait another month to see if new buds appear deeper in the hedge. Beech can be heavily pruned and will recover, so it depends how far into the trunk area the fire reached.

Beech develops new buds and leaves every spring and the affected area should recover quickly (2 or 3 years) if it is not completely dead.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +117,290
        I agree with John. Wait a bit and see what happens.

If it still looks totally dead I would then claim directly on the builders' insurance. It would be best to advise the builders about it and say you are giving it a chance to try and recover but, otherwise, you may need to claim on their insurance. This shows that you are trying o be reasonable about it by waiting to see whether it recovers - but you can't leave it too long or you may not be able to claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
          +599
          This is a real pity. Beech makes such a beautiful hedge and takes a long time to reach a height like that. Shame on the builders! :wallbanging:

Zooming into the recent pic, it looks like there are small leaf buds on some of the branches, so all may not be lost. Like @JWK and @shiney say... it could be worth waiting a short while as it won't be long before before the hedge will burst into leaf.

But as @shiney mentioned - insurance. I would show the pics to the builder and tell them now that if the hedge doesn't grow back, they'll need to cough up for a replacement. Not just 2-3ft high but a similar 2+ metre height hedge (which cost would cost £30+ for each individual tree) but also costs for removal of the old one and replanting a new one. Regrettably, it would be a few years before it reaches the density of the current one.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1