1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Beetroot Chutney

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Jul 7, 2017.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Does anybody have a good recipe for the above? i will have plenty of Apples in time if the 2 would be a good combination. I have some last years cooked and frozen Beetroot, can I use that to make chutney? also I pickled loads of Beetroot last season and it's being eaten atm. Can you tell there was a slight ........well massive over production last season! Can I use the left over Beetroot "vinegar" to make the chutney? Seems a waste to throw the vinegar away. It's been in the fridge since last Autumn. No doubt @Zigs will come up with some smart remark about mean Scots :). I just don't like waste and remember spending a fair bit on litres of vinegar last year. it's not pickling vinegar just your bog standard if this makes a difference.Obviously it's dark maroon coloured so doubt it would be ideal for cleaning loos etc:rolleyespink:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Don't see why not, vinegar won't be so strong so might not have so much preseving power, so i'd put the chutney in smaller jars so it gets used up quicker.

Aah, so it was the Scots bit of I that made me use 2 year old dried apple rings in my chutney :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,695
        I will confess that I haven't tried this particular recipe as (embarrassingly) I don't much like beetroot but have always found this website's recipes for chutneys and preserves reliable:Beetroot Chutney Recipe - Allotment Garden Recipes

I would use up the vinegar too, soaking any dried fruit like raisins or the apple rings in it beforehand so it plumps up. The previously cooked and frozen beetroot on the other hand I would add after everything else has begun to cook as it won't need so much time.

The great thing about chutney is that it's not an exact science - unlike jam you don't have to worry about getting it to set, you can adjust the ingredients ad infinitum according to what you have available, and even if the results taste a bit fierce to begin with they will mellow with time. The general advice on chutney making on that site is good too.

• Like Like x 1