1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best flavoured thornless blackberry?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Clare G, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Can anyone recommend me a well-flavoured thornless blackberry variety?

The one I've got here at the moment is 'Oregon Thornless', but it's never done that well and the flavour of the fruits is distinctly underwhelming, compared to the wild ones. I'd like to replace it and am overwhelmed by all the varieties on offer! Black fruits, white fruits, yellow fruits, giant fruits ... but will any of them actually taste any better?

I thought another thornless one would work best, as those are apparently less rampant in growth and the space is a bit limited - sunny position, 6' wall + trellis, like the last one but in a different position. I would however happily put up with some thorns if you tell me the superior taste will make any pain worthwhile :biggrin:

Many thanks!

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,239
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,002
      I have couple of thornless blackberry plants. Loch Tay is very early, mediocre yield and taste. Chester is much tastier and keeps cropping longer. It has quite big juicy fruit, so my recommendation is Chester.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,002
        I should have said Chester has a superb taste, puts anything you can buy from the supermarket to shame.

• Like Like x 1
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          The best thornless blackberry?
          The ones in my garden :biggrin: - no kidding, we moved around a lot and every time (6x) we took the time to dig it up and replant it at the new location.

Sadly i dont know what kind it is :sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,731
            Thank you all very much! I love the thought of @Black Dog's mysterious travelling plant, and @JWK made Chester sound tempting - I gather that also has pretty pink flowers, which must be a bonus. However I ended up ordering a bare-root 'Merton Thornless'; that's meant to stay relatively compact, so should work in my small garden. It's also Chris Bowers' favourite amongst the thornless varieties, @noisette47 - he says it "It’s an oldie but the flavour ranks amongst the finest of all and it remains a good yielder." :fingers crossed:

ETA I checked the history and it was bred a few miles down the road in the 1930s, at the John Innes Institute at Merton Park. So should hopefully feel quite at home here!

• Like Like x 2