1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best method for automatically switching on garden pump...

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by garmcqui, Jun 5, 2020.

1. garmcqui

garmcqui Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I have two IBC containers, which I'm basically using as water butts. Despite being 2000L combined, as they are at ground level the water pressure in the hose leaving them is quite low. I have a Karcher GP40 garden pump, which is brilliant and boosts the pressure, making it suitable for garden sprinkler system etc.

I want a way to automatically switch on the pump when the water flows. I have looked at pump controllers such as this: (for some reason I can't post links, but ebay item number 392814869710) however they detect pressure and switch on the pump, and require approximately 1.5Bar pressure for switch on, which would require my IBC containers to be metres in the air!

I have also considered a flow switch in the pipe leaving the pump, such as this: (ebay item number 223926085477) which would switch on the pump when water began to move in the pipe. Most of these seem to be 12v switches, but I was considering using a relay to then switch on the pump (which is rated at about 800W I believe).

Would this be feasible?

Any input appreciated!

G

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Just taking a step back, I have two IBCs for my veg patch, 2000 litres may sound a lot but mine are half empty now and I only use them to fill watering cans. Mine usually run out in July (rain water collected from a shed roof). If I were to connect a sprinkler I think it would very quickly use the lot. Just asking if you think it's worth the effort.

Our home power shower pump has a very low pressure valve switch as the head is only a couple of foot. I don't know if you can buy the valve/switch separately, might be worth googling.

• Like Like x 1
    • garmcqui

garmcqui Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Hi, sorry I should have been clearer. When I said sprinkler I meant a micro irrigation sprinkler system, with approx 30 mini sprinklers. I would estimate that each run of the system uses approx 25L, so in theory the two IBCs when full should last for 2mths+.

Good shout on the shower pump switch - off to investigate that.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,206
        Hi,

Whatever switch sensor you use be aware that your pump takes 650w or more at 240v.

Seems many such switches only have a much lower current handling so will need a 'slave' relay rated at 5 to 10 amps .

Perhaps the flow switches below could be used ? though again you will need a slave relay to handle the pumps current.

You could consider a remote control mains switch instead ?
        Remote Controlled Switch Box IP66 - 3 Gang

(Have not used any of these products - expect there are lots of similar ones around )

000292.jpg

• Like Like x 1