1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best place to sell some silver items

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by silu, Aug 26, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I've been left a few bits of silver including the likes of spoons, tea pot, sugar bowls, cream jugs, sauce boats, that type of thing. It's all hall marked and isn't EPNS so is worth something but doubt much as who wants to clean silver? not me! Most of it I would guess is about 1930s/40s not really old I don't think anyway.
    Am I best to sell it on the likes of Ebay? take it to an auction house, stick it under the bed!?
    I have absolutely no desire to keep the items and they hold no sentimental value and I doubt I would ever use them, don't even drink tea! There are a couple of silver salts with those glass liners which are quite nice so will keep those as might just have use for them but not the rest.

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    An auction would give the purchaser the chance to examine the pieces more thoroughly, therefore I think it would be preferable. You would just have to find one where silver is regularely sold.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Silu, take it all to your local jewellers, they should offer a better price than the touts who say they pay the best price for bullion.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi Silu,

You're best bet is to take it to an auction house. You can get a free valuation with no obligation to sell.

If as you say it's all hallmarked it will have the company/makers marks on it as well. They'll be able to give you an estimate on each individual item based on the scrap value and also factor in any artistic or rarity value. For instance anything that has a Chester or Dublin hallmark is very valuable nowadays.

1930s/1940s silver is very collectible as it's almost antique ( anything 100 years old is classed as antique ). Also, do not polish it. Polishing silver degrades the metal, it should just be wiped over with a clean cloth.

If you take it to a jewellers they will just offer you the scrap value which at the moment is hovering between £13.95 and £14.75 per ounce.

Don't even contemplate Ebay, it's the worst possible way to sell anything valuable.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2016
      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks all.I'll take some of it into an auction house in Perth and see what they say. Good that I shouldn't need to get the silver cleaner out!. The teapot and big soup ladle are quite heavy:), hopefully I might raise enough cash to pay for my new laptop.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,512
          Taking it for a free appraisal is the best start. Then you have an idea of the value.

In a lot of areas there smaller antique type retail units that will rent out a small glass cabinet for people to sell their wares. The cost of the rental includes the service of the person who runs the place taking the money for you from the punters.

There are a number of these sort of places around. In the small town near us (population 9,000) there are quite a few of the places in the converted maltings near the station. The larger one has been divided into about thirty small sales areas (about 8ft x 8ft) and numerous cabinets. It's a popular place.

I've also seen these sort of places in railway arches that have been converted to small businesses. I'm sure there are many other places, that work like that, in modern buildings as well. The local Yellow Pages will show them under antique shops.