1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best time for sowing a wildflower meadow - autumn or spring?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Sian in Belgium, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    what is the best time for sowing wild flower seeds?

This would be in two locations, one where the grass grows (on a steep slope), and one where the soil is so poor the grass doesn't grow!! - relatively flat.

2. Agent Orange

Agent Orange Professional Amateur

Instrument Technician (retired)
    Ratings:
    +124
    Hi again Sian

Im looking at this myself right now with a view to having a couple of smallish areas set aside for wildflowers. These will be mainly in semi shade, one south facing (dry) and the other north facing (damp).

My thoughts are that naturally occuring plants (generally) flower through the summer, set seed and drop them in the autumn. These then lie dormant during winter and germinate in spring. I figure that I will try to replicate this by sowing in the ground soon, but also will try to sow and scarify in my fridge and also scarify the dry seeds in the fridge then sow indoors. I may try sowing some in the spring, but from the info I have gathered, there needs to be a period of cold before germination will occur.

I have a shopping list of seeds, and will try.
    Cotton Thistle and Scotch Thistle
    Birds Foot Trefoil
    Primula - Cowslip / Oxlip
    Teasle
    Winter Aconite
    Cyclamen Hederifolium

I have already sown Harebell and Scabious. Harebell has germinated but no signs from the Scabious yet. Im thinking I will put the Scabious tray in the fridge for a while.

Also I have Snakeshead Fritillary in a container with other bulbs for the spring which come back each year. I think they are meadow flowers that like quite damp soil so will try some in the ground.

Its all a learning curve and a challange. All part of the fun and all successes are celebrated and failures learnt from.
    :ccheers:

Dave

• Like Like x 3
    • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,830
      IMG_4746resize.jpg IMG_4749resize.jpg

I sowed a wildflower meadow last April and it has been wonderful. I bought the basic wildflower meadow mix from The Grass Seed Company; it was expensive and I sowed it at the recommended rate. The flowers this year have been the annuals;corn flower, corncockle, corn marigold, poppies and mayweed mostly and there is clearly some under story growing away which includes mostly sheeps fescue and some perrennial flowers so I imagine next year it will be quite different. Here are some pictures.

• Like Like x 9
      • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
        Ratings:
        +2,908
        Ragged Robin for the shady/damp areas don't forget!

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1