1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Best turf for stripy look in a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Funkar, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,574
    As with so many things, context is key. A huge expanse of meticulously maintained lawn, mowed every day, sometimes multiple times per day, and constantly irrigated and treat with chemicals is an entirely different thing to a lawn surrounded by plants and shrubs and trees, that is rarely watered, and is allowed to grow and has clover and other wild plants in it.

There was a piece in the news yesterday about artificial lawns becoming increasingly popular. Personally I absolutely hate them, but apparently some people love them. There was a guy on there arguing that artificial lawns are more eco friendly than real ones because they don't need watering. His company sold artificial turf.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,066
      Yes I saw an article on plastic lawns, not very green it seems, not even the colour.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,064
        I think when you bear in mind all the chemicals and water that is required to maintain a perfect lawn artificial lawns probably are more environmentally friendly.
        But if you just grow a bit of grass and mow it regularly then that is more friendly than the artificial stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,066
          Pretty sure Blackbirds would prefer the real thing, not many worms in a plastic lawn.

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +7,689
            That's easily resolved- and it's educational! :biggrin:

Plastic Minibeasts Pack 96pk
            [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
            • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
              Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
              Ratings:
              +6,780
              My step-daughter has just had artificial turf laid and when I went to see it there was a bit of fallen leaves on it and it looked quite realistic.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,574
                At risk of sounding like a hypocrite, I actually recommended an artificial lawn for my mother. But in my defence, she doesn't have a garden at all, just a back yard. She had decking in it for a while but it went rotten so I tore it all out (at her request) so now it's just cracked old concrete. She wants it nice but can't decide what she wants so I recommended we just put artificial turf down, with an underlay of course, and then get some nice plants in containers. It hasn't happened yet, party because she can't decide, and partly because she doesn't like bugging me to do work, even though I would enjoy doing it. I mean, who here wouldn't enjoy turning a boring old terraced house yard into a nice outdoor space.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,192
                  Although I dislike it, artificial turf does have its place. My sister had a tiny circle of grass in her garden, with two small dogs it was completely ripped up. Her artificial turf is tough and looks ok. It's must be ecologically better than paving or concrete.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Jerry Spencer

Jerry Spencer Apprentice Gardener

sports turf consultant
                    Ratings:
                    +9
                    All football league grounds use perennial ryegrass. kentucky blue takes too long to establish

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
                    Ratings:
                    +893
                    So do many dairy farms, the goal for lawns is resilience and asthetic, not mowing three times a week.

• Jerry Spencer

Jerry Spencer Apprentice Gardener

sports turf consultant
                    Ratings:
                    +9
                    Im not getting into an argument over it but if you use the same perennial ryegrass they use you will kill horses and cattle due to the high endophyte levels. His original question was
                    Best turf for stripy look in a lawn....no mention of mowing. I dont know many stripy dairy farms?

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,259
                    We use rye grass mixtures for all but the greens and they are cut 3 to 4 times a week. Rye grass is a tougher grass, more resilient but for lines a lot depends on the way it’s cut, the height and so on. Our greens look great after a cut but the approaches, surrounds, fairway and rough are more pronounced due to the height so at a distance you see the line formations.
                    Greens may be cut twice in a day if required for competition so that the ball speed is even throughout the day.

Saying that a lawn is a smaller area where you can target the plant to increase its appearance with fertilisers. Seedweed based one’s help to darken the plant leaf due to the iron content if applied correctly as does iron but you don’t want to be applying it constantly. A nice lush coverage of green grass will produce lines, be it rye grass or bent depending on your preferences to a lawn.

on about dairy farms, round here I see a lot of striped areas due to the rough cutter attachment used. Really depends on the equipment used and how the farmer cuts.

with lawns again cutting is all down to what one wants. There are those who cut 3 times a week with their cylinders, those who cut once a week, those who cut once a fortnight and those that cut when they feel it needs it. Obviously for a lovely lawn it’s best cut often and more so with finer grass but lawns are not on everyone’s list of number one thing to do.
                    You can spend an awful lot of time on a lawn to get it to a high standard and there’s cost too.

• Like Like x 2
                      Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,514
                      Sorry, I'm no expert on lawns but have a number of my own that need looking after.

They always look good with nice stripes on them but they are more than 50% weeds (clover, daisies, buttercups, celandine, hawks beard) and with large patches of moss.

It's the mower that makes mine look good and stripey. It has a heavy roller on the back. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1