1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bird of paradise

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Richard360, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    hey everyone I bought a bird of paradise plant this spring and it's currently in my kitchen agains some patio doors and looks to be growing healthy but I'm struggling to find some good care info
    Like will it want to be out in summer pot size how it likes to be watered that sort of thing
    So has anyone got any experience with them thanks

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Mine goes out for the summer, cool room for the winter. Pot size should be large enough but not too large for the plant or it will just grow and not flower. In the summer I just rely on rain for water unless we go through a prolonged dry spell. Watch out for red spider mite on it.

@pete grows his in the ground. The results are spectacular but I'm not sure that you or I have such a mild climate.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,044
    I've grown them in pots also.:smile:
    They get potbound very quickly, often you can end up with all root and no soil as the plant pushes itself up out of the pot.
    At that point watering becomes very difficult, but they survive.
    You can do a careful bit of root pruning, when repotting, once they reach flowering size

Pot size is obviously dependant on plant age and size, and I would suggest going up at least a couple of inches in diameter each year when the plant is young, up to about 12ins, then feed it well with tomato feed during the summer only.
    I always liked to use JI No3 for potting on.

And yes, put it outside in summer, but be careful, if its been shaded at all during the winter, full sun could burn the leaves if they have grown soft indoors.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
      Ratings:
      +1,069
      image.jpg Thank you guys hoping to pot it up to the pot at the side of it I will definitely get it out side like you say pete I will put it in some shade for a few days first

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Whooaa - is that Strelitzia reginae or S.nicolai?

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Wendy.

Wendy. Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          I had this plant for Mothers Day, it had no label, my iPhone tells me it’s a Bird of paradise plant…..is it?
          I’ve just repotted it and brought it back indoors. I want to put it in my porch over winter (glass windows & door) but I don’t know whether it will be ok with the temperature in there, will it be ok?

Attached Files:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,044
          It certainly looks like a Strelitzia, are the leaves leathery, I would guess at it being one of the larger types which are almost tree like when fully grown.
          It should be ok as long as it is kept frost free, 5c being a good low to aim for .
          It will Also need to be watered sparingly during cold Weather.

• Wendy.

Wendy. Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          They weren’t at first, I put it outside to thicken them up, it worked. I did have a Banana plant which I had for about 5 years but I left it in the porch instead of bringing it into the house and unfortunately the cold killed it. The leaves on the banana plant didn’t have a gloss to them, this one does.

• Like Like x 2