Blackberry plants are looking poorly, Help.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by James Gilley, Jul 2, 2019.

1. James Gilley

James Gilley Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had these blackberry plants now for about 4 years. Last year i noticed some of the fruit on one of the plants became furry but almost like the fruit hadnt formed properly. It wasn't really an issue because we had such a good crop i didnt think of it a major problem. Although this year though it seems to be worse. The leaves are dying and a larger quantity of the fruit have been effected. See images provided. There also seems to be a large quantity of very small white insects on the foliage, their not flying or moving for that matter but they seem to be on this years fruiting stems and leaves. This years growth doesnt seem to be effected to badly. What is this and is there anything i can do, spray to save these plants. They are well established plants now and it would be a shame to loose them. Any advice would be grateful, cheers

20190630_125837.jpg 20190630_125928.jpg 20190630_125921.jpg

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997

It looks like a Loganberry

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +492
      I think the "white insects" are actually aphid droppings. The sticky coating on the leaves in the first picture is a giveaway.

The good news is that any garden centre will have insecticide to kill aphids. Generally you add the insecticide to water and then use a pressure sprayer to cover the plant. Aphids tend to live on the underside of leaves, so you need to spray the underside of the leaves too. With a blackberry, this could be awkward (and prickly!)

I tend to be cautious about applying insecticide to fruit that's closer to ripe, because I don't want to eat it myself. Just hit them next spring when they get started. You could also do it after the season is over, which should reduce the number of bugs overwintering and make next year easier to control.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      This year's stems (that will fruit next year) could be sprayed if held away those currently fruiting (that should be cut out at the end of season).

• James Gilley

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you all for your responses. ok so the white on the leaves are aphid droppings, I'm apprehensive about using a pesticide on fruit for the same reasons you explained. is there other ways to control aphids apart from a pesticide?

what about what seems to be attacking the fruit, any ideas?

The plants I've taken photos of are 2 of 3 BlackBerry plants, one is a variety called Helen and the other is a variety called Waldo and both are thorn less. I can see they do look like a Logan berry but would be surprised if they were unless they mixed the labels up at the nursery!

Thanks again for your help

• Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +492
      Aphids attack the buds and flowers, which messes up the fruit when it forms.

Ladybirds and lacewings (and their larvae) eat aphids. You can't rely on them appearing though! Insecticidal soaps are supposed to be non-toxic for humans, which is another option.

TBH I wouldn't worry about it this year, and just keep it in check next year.

• James Gilley

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you all for your help, cheers