1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blackcurrant Bushes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Flowerpot, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Flowerpot

Flowerpot Gardener

Self Employed Courier
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hello, i bought some Blackcurrant, Raspberry and Redcurrant plants this year, planted the Blackcurrant bushes in a large container as i had no garden space left for them, they have grown well this summer, and read somewhere on here that i don't need to cut them back for next year, all i would like to ask is, how often do i need to water the container in the winter months and do i just leave it stood out in the garden, or do i need to protect the plants from the frost and snow? :scratch:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Flowerpot,

You only need to remove the older branches from blackcurrants after several years. They won't need watering in the winter as they go dormant.

I had a couple in pots out thru last winters minus 15c & they are fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Flowerpot

Flowerpot Gardener

Self Employed Courier
      Ratings:
      +85
      Thankyou Ziggy for your help :)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      My pleasure Caz,

When you do prune them, stick the branches in the ground, they root very easily. Then you'll have more bushes.

• Like Like x 1