Blackfly on tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by FrancescaH, Jun 7, 2021.

1. FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
    +549
    Wondering if anyone can assist.

Noticed lots of tiny flies (I presume blackfly. Very tiny black things with white/clear wings) hanging out on my tomato leaves and stems a few days ago.

I sprayed down with Bug Clear. As I understand it Bug Clear requires direct contact to kill, so I guess it won't have an affect on eggs? Either way, I had hoped to see an improvement today but there are now more. It's hard to get in all the nooks as my plants are quite bushy and "unfurling" so the foliage is quite dense.

Any other ideas, or do I just need to continue with regular Bug Clear dowsings to get through the full life cycle?

Having looked at some pictures, my infestation seems minimal at present. Certainly not like the pictures of areas totally covered in them. These are just little dots here and there.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,301
    I regularly get blackfly on runner beans and use a diluted soap to wash them off, it takes a few doses. If it's a small number I rub them off by hand, they go for the soft growing tips and if left alone damage the plant in a day or so. I've never had them on tomatoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FrancescaH

FrancescaH Gardener

Ratings:
      +549
      Good news is I think the Bug Clear had actually worked but had killed the flies in place, so I thought they were still infesting.

Don't have a hose that reaches out front (but off to buy one, getting sick of making 4 trips with the watering can to water the tomatoes), but doused them from top to bottom with the watering can and many flies just fell off. Normally don't like washing the leaves but it's a sunny day and hopefully they will get nice and dry soon.

Off to buy a much longer hose.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,305
        Quite often black fly get caught on the hairs on tomatoes, they are slightly sticky.
        I think the black fly mostly starve, but just stay there in the hairs.

• Informative Informative x 2