Blackspot

Discussion in 'Roses' started by wiseowl, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,837
    :ideaIPB:I reckon Black Spot started at the Admiral Benbow Inn in Treasure Island:

"Returning from his father’s funeral, Jim encounters a sinister blind man who asks to be taken to Billy. Billy appears sickened to see the blind man, who hands him a black spot, which Jim has learned represents an official secret pirate summons. Reading the black spot, Billy enigmatically cries out that he has only six hours left. He springs into to action, but falls down, stricken with a fatal stroke. Jim is worried and calls for his mother."

I must admit that when I see Black Spot on my roses I get worried and call for Mother!!:dunno::cry3::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
      Ratings:
      +774
      I've got spots like that on some of my broad beans. They were fine when planted out a week ago now 3 out of 18 plants have spots on and are looking very poorly.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,837
      Chocolate Spot Symptoms
      Typical signs of Chocolate spot disease include the presence of rounded, reddish-brown spots on the leaves. Sometimes, the spots may appear on the pods and stems. If the disease spreads to the main stem, the spots develop a brownish-black appearance. The leaves are often covered with a characteristic, thread-like covering, creating the impression of a mould. The seasonal bloom is delayed and the flowers develop a weathered appearance. Even the older pods, containing the seeds, can be infected by spotting disease. The disease often begins during the mid-winter season, which is uncommon for most fungal infections.

Chocolate Spot Disease Control
      Ensure that the soil is always well drained, particularly during the rainy season. You can raise the vegetable bed to ensure sustained draining of excess water. Leaves showing a clustered appearance with any form of molding should be pruned-off. Always dip your pruning gear in a multi-purpose fungicide before pruning. This helps to avoid spreading the infection to the foliage around the pruned sites. The soil should be periodically enriched with doses of potash and potassium-rich fertilizers. A good idea is to start increasing the potash content in the fertilizer-mix with the onset of the winter season. Clustered foliage can lead to faster spreading of Chocolate spot in the garden bed. Always maintain a 50-cm gap between the plant rows. Prune repeatedly before the spring season to ensure well-spaced growth.

Disease 2: Broad Bean Rust
      This is the only known disease can that quickly infest an entire broad bean crop. Rust is caused by the Uromyces fungus. Its identification and control is very difficult. It is known to undergo repeated dormant stages and re-surface throughout a crop’s cycle.

Broad Bean Rust Symptoms
      It is critical that you are able to identify the initial signs of rusting because it spreads very quickly. The typical, rusting indications include the development of yellow spots on the underside of leaves. Some spots may have a powdery, outer surface that is easy-to-detect. Remember, rusting spots can develop beyond the usual seasonal patterns, unlike most fungal infections. Hence, you should check your broad bean crop for rusting symptoms even during the dry season.

Broad Bean Rust Control
      Chemical treatment is not effective to contain this disease. Timely identification of the diseased plant and its systematic destruction is the only solution. You should continuously check for rusting symptoms and prune-off the infected foliage. Never use the pruned-off, infected parts for composting or any gardening activity. You can use a combination of fish oil and sulphur dust to spray the plants. This helps to contain the spread of rust disease by killing young, fungal spores.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
        Ratings:
        +774
        Oh no!!! Thank you for that information. I've pulled up the affected ones, am watching others closely. I have some spare plants still in pots, but nowhere else to plant at the moment. Will have to put in fruit area.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Altissimo

Altissimo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +6
          I have a lovely Altissimo rose, which I planted only a few weeks ago. It promptly developed blackspot. I really wanted to be as organic as possible in my new garden, but is it realistic to hope to cure it organically? I bought something called Sulphur Rose from a green gardening supplier. It is supposed to be 'greener' but I have heard negative things about sulphur, so I am a little confused as to whether it is any kinder to the local bug and bird-life than a pesticide. I have been spraying it, although torrential rain seems to follow as soon as I do. The black spot is spreading! What would you do? Thanks for reading.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +90,342
          Good afternoon @Altissimo my friend Altissimo is a climber to 3m/4m,may I respectfully suggest that all you do is to pick off the infected leaves daily and dispose of them(Burn /bag and throw them away(but not on the compost heap),and all the ones that you may find on the ground around the base of your beautiful Rose,if left the spores will lay on the ground all winter and reappear next year,IMHO I wouldn't spray this year as it is a newly planted Rose and is probably not at its best right now,still settling in to its new home,please don't worry to much .your Rose will look a little strange with out some of its leaves,but it will be OK my friend
          :smile:

Medium red Large-Flowered Climber.
          Registration name: DELmur
          Exhibition name: Altissimo ®
          Bred by G.Delbard (France, 1966).
          Introduced in United Kingdom by Cuthbert in 1966 as 'Altissimo'.
          Climber, Floribunda, Cl., Large-Flowered Climber.
          Red. Mild, clove fragrance. 7 petals. Average diameter 5". Large, single (4-8 petals), borne mostly solitary, cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped-to-flat bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
          Tall, climbing. Dark green foliage.
          Height of 7' to 15' (215 to 455 cm). Width of 8' (245 cm).
          Can be used for garden, pillar or shrub. Hardy. can be grown as a shrub. shade tolerant. Disease susceptibility: disease resistant.

Parentage
          Tenor x Seedling

• Like Like x 1
          • Altissimo

Ratings:
            +6
            Thank you, Wiseowl, for your reassuring words. I am happy to hear you think my rose will be ok. I have a vision of it covering the wall, in a few years, with masses of red flowers and looking absolutely stunning. I have removed all the spotty leaves and they are safely disposed of.

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            Only just seen this thread, so I thought that I would add a little to it.

Some people here underplant roses with chives, usually the white form. They will also feed the rose bed with well rotted horse manure, and water only in the early mornings.
            The plants will also be sprayed, either with a mixture of Baking powder and water, or a fungicide known as Fungiflor. BASF make it, so it should be available in the UK.

Will admit though, I'm going to try some of the things suggested on this topic.

• Informative Informative x 3
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +90,342
              Good morning @Sandy Ground water only round the base of the Rose and not on the leaves ;)

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              I do, but find it difficult to avoid splashing the leaves.

Another thing we do here, but unconnected with black spot. When ants are present, we put a circle of used coffee grounds around the base of each plant, then spray the plant with a mixture of Neem Oil, Green Soap* and water. The latter is to kill the aphids that the ants milk, and the former to kill the ants. Apparently, coffee grounds are like a drug to them, they eat them then implode or explode. Can never remember which...:)

*Green Soap is made from pine trees, not sure its available in the UK

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Altissimo

Ratings:
                +6
                Thank you, great tips. I mixed up some baking powder spray for my sages, which have mildew, but I will spray the roses too. I was thinking about pruning my climbing roses. The books I looked at say to do it when the rose has no leaves. My roses never lost their leaves over winter - so does this mean I have to take the leaves off myself? It seems a shame as they are looking very lush and healthy still.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Altissimo

Ratings:
                  +6
                  Oops, sorry - I just remembered this is a blackspot thread. Should probably have posted the pruning question somewhere else. I will find a better place for it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +90,342
                    Good morning @Altissimo what age are your climbing Roses my friend,I would respectfully suggest that you just tidy them up for now,and wait until the middle of March ,sometimes the frost comes back again and it could damage the ends that you have pruned,For the first 2/3 years of a climbing Rose I wouldn't prune them at all ,after that it depends on how high you want them to grow,and please make sure that you have some of the canes at the base of your rose growing horizontally other wise you will get no flowers at the bottom and all the flowers will be at the top :smile:

No you are alright my friend if it needs to be moved I will do it for you;)

This sticky thread should help you
                    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/pruning-of-the-rose-family-reference-sheet.10915/

• Altissimo

Ratings:
                    +6
                    Hello Wise Owl. I will wait till March then, thank you! I brought them last summer. They were probably not much more than a foot hight when I planted them - what age would they be at that stage (if that's not a daft question!)? It would be nice to let them get taller before having to take much off. I do want them to get quite high. They are on quite tall but narrow trellises. I will try to zig zag the stems as much as possible on their way up to get them as horizontal as possible, but it seems it would be easier to get more flowers if they had more space to spread sideways!

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +90,342
                    Good afternoon @Altissimo there's no such thing as a daft question just a daft answer;) your Roses were just yearling roses,and maybe you could extend the trellis's:smile:

• Like Like x 1