1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bleach instead of weed killer?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Gn0me, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I've read that bleach will absolutely kill everything apart from the hardiest such as knotweed and ivy.

In fact I've also read that nothing will grow for months afterwards, which is fine as I want to use it on my block paving patio and possibly driveway.

If it is possible to use bleach instead, is there a danger it might damage or discolour the bricks?

Also, should I dilute it, possibly with boiling water? I have a one of those pump
    dispensers.

There's no children or pets around.

Thanks very much.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Hi, the short answer is No!!:nonofinger::nonofinger::nonofinger: Bleach is a harmful chemical and it will stay around for a long while and it will contaminate the surrounding soil even if care is taken. General advice is not to use it!!:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,064
        Think I would use one of the weedkillers designed for paths and paving.
        Cant really see what is point of using bleach?

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Gn0me

Gn0me Gardener

Ratings:
          +45
          Okay, bleach it isn't.
          I thought it might be just more effective but now realising it may be too effective in terms of damaging, even for a patio.
          I guess it'll murder all the creepie crawlies as well. Can't have that on my conscience.
          Thanks very much, case closed!

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1