1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blight-resistant tomato varieties

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Steve R, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Of the varieties listed I have grown Losseto, Latah, Ferline, Legend and Red Alert and they have all succumbed to blight.

I now only bother with Red Alert (which I have grown for 30 years), not because I consider it blight resistant in any way, but as mentioned in the link above, it's very quick to crop and most fruits are harvested before blight appears. I now sow them early, plant in 10 litre pots in a polytunnel sitting in between border grown cordons, and placed outside when danger of frost is past to get an early 'outdoor' crop.

I think I also have some of the variety 'Berry' (50p from Wyevale seed sale) that will be polytunnel grown this year.

If a tomato seed swap goes ahead and anybody wants Ferline and Losseto seeds, I 'll donate what I have left, I have that little confidence in them.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,181
        Same here, I grew Ferline for a couple of years - poor yield, late ripening and mediocre taste.

Following discussion on the 2017 Taste Test thread I'm growing Crimson Crush as my outdoor blight resistant variety this year:
        Tomato Taste Test 2017

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Cheapest I've found so far is Dobies, 15 seeds for £3.49 Tomato Seeds - Crimson Crush F1 at Dobies (Suttons are £3.99 for 10 seeds, 74% more per seed than Dobies).

To avoid p&p, who sells Dobies seeds instore? I think they very rarely have free p&p promotions.

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,181
          I've never noticed Dobies seeds instore anywhere, had a look on their website and they only sell online:

History of Dobies - Dobies

• Useful Useful x 1
          • FellowGardener

FellowGardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +6
            I believe unless by the ocean they develop some new GM super resistant variety we wont see fully blight resistant tomato any soon. This season I will test some new varieties. Among them I have some seeds of CLX 37535 aka "HoneyMoon" which is marked seed company as "Pi" - tolerant against blight.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            Had a feeling that might be the case, in the absence of a free p&p promotion at Dobies, it looks like a visit to B&Q (on a Wednesday to get 10% off) who stock Suttons Crimson Crush instore, working out at 36p/seed, and if they're any good it''ll be a Dobies order (via village horticultural soçiety) next year Dobies Discount Scheme for Gardening Societies, Allotment Clubs and Horticultural Groups - Dobies

• Informative Informative x 1
              Last edited: Feb 2, 2018