"Blind" bluebells

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dangermousie, Apr 28, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Dangermousie

Dangermousie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I ordered English Bluebells, but they seem to be hybrids. They flowered last year (their first year) but this year they're not flowering at all. Any idea what they are and why they're not flowering? Best to replace them?
    [​IMG]

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,417
    They look like Spanish bluebells or a hybrid between them and English. You are supposed to be able to see the difference by the colour of the pollen, but I don't think that's absolute. If the flowers are round the stem, and it doesn't just arch over with bells underneath, they are Spanish.
    I'm surprised they haven't flowered this year - they're normally pretty robust.
    A friend bought "English" bluebells online but had the same problem. I gave him seed from my woodland bluebells instead. Slow but should be right ones!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Punkdoc

Punkdoc experienced

retired doctor
      Ratings:
      +1,240
      People always say it is easy to tell the Spanish from the English, but IMO it isn't always. I have English, hybrid and Spanish and i can't always tell which is which.

• Dangermousie

Dangermousie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Oki Doki, I'll get some from a more reputable source and replace :) Thanks!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +87,178
      I've noticed some bluebells that have really large strap like leaves, and in comparison fairly small flowers, I've always assumed these were the so called Spanish bluebell, but I've noticed that lots of people are referring to something that basically looks like a normal bluebell as Spanish.
      I'm not sure it matters anymore TBH.

I have some in my garden that came from a neighbours garden in the 1960s, the neighbour probably dug them up from the local woods back in the 50s.

They planted some in a wooded area in my local park about 10 yrs ago and they were tiny first year and the flowers were not good, I think they need a few years to establish decent sized clumps.

Even depth of planting might have some bearing on how well they grow, and they may take a few years to get themselves to the correct depth, which is why they shouldn't disturb ancient woodland, its taken years to establish.