1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood Fish & Bone v Growmore

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freddy, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi there folks. Can someone please explain what the pros and cons are of each of these fertilisers. From what I know Growmore is a man-made general purpose fertiliser, right ? BF&B is an organic general purpose fertiliser, right ? What I'd like to know is what to use and when to use it. Cheers...freddy.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Both are general fertilisers. As you say, Growmore is manmade, F,B and B is natural. The difference is, Growmore lasts in the soil for 7 to 10 days whereas F,B and B lasts in the soil for 4 to 6 weeks. As general feeds they can be used on any crop.

3. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Ok Dai, thanks for the reply. Does it follow then that you would or should feed again after these intervals ?

4. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    When I plant out my cabbage for the experiment I will use Growmore every 10 to 14 days. I would use F, B and B every 4 weeks or so.

5. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Great, thanks Dai. :thumb:

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Hmmm ... I use Sulphate eof Ammonia on my Cabbages, rather than something balanced like Growmore.

My view is that Bonemeal, or B F & B tends to release its Nitrogen quickly, but the rest of it nutrients slower (which is fine) but that makes re-applications during the season a lot more tricky to calculate.

So I give a good dose of Bonemeal to all my Shrubs and Perennials in the spring, and tend to knida leave them to it thereafter.

8. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi there Kristen. It's interesting that 'one' can ask two people the same question and get conflicting opinions, and yet they both sound perfectly feasable and reasonable :) Out of interest, what has led you to "My view"? Cheers...freddy.

9. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Bonemeal is only one constituent of Fish, Blood and Bonemeal. Also bonemeal is high in phosphates rather than nitrogen. That is why it is used when planting shrubs. It helps encourage new root growth not new top growth.:gnthb:

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've had a read of both my preferred gardening books. Joy Larkham devotes 7 pages to Cabbage ... not a single mention of fertilizer in either book :(

The only mention is "Has high nitrogen requirements; an excellent crop to follow Nitrogen-fixing green manure"

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Kristen, you and I both know EVERYTHING needs feeding. Don`t believe everything the so called experts write. There are lots of people on here with just as much knowledge as these " gardeners ", yourself included.:gnthb:

12. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi fellas. Last year (my big learning year :)) I followed some of the advice given by Dr Hessayon . One of the things that was mentioned was to apply growmore prior to planting cabbage. Obviously, I can't say for sure if it was necessary, BUT, I DID have what were to me, very good cabbages. Cheers...freddy.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "you and I both know EVERYTHING needs feeding"

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that they didn't need feeding AT ALL!

I'm just astonished that the books I have are silent on the matter. 7 pages just about Cabbages and NOTHING about what feed they like to eat?

If I sent a 7 page letter to a friend who was going to entertain one of my kids for THE WHOLE SEASON you can bet your bottom dollar that I would include detailed feeding instructions (although, to be fair, more about what they WON'T eat rather than that what they WILL!)

"One of the things that was mentioned was to apply growmore prior to planting cabbage"

I would go with that advice for pretty much anything. Incorporating some growmore (general fertiliser) a week or two before planting means that the soil has a nice balanced set of ingredients "prepared and ready" the moment the plants go in ...

My view is that Cabbages are Nitrogen hungry, and I would give then a high-Nitrogen feed, rather than a completely balanced feed. But I am sure that there are a score of schools of thought ... and we are probably splitting hairs. If you gave yours only balanced fertilizer, and I gave mine a High-Nitrogen feed, there would probably be only a modest difference at the end of the test - assuming my soil was reasonably hearty to start with, and didn't have zero micro nutrients :)

Now ... if a third person gave their Cabbages NOTHING then you would definitely notice the difference, and you wouldn't want to go to Sunday Lunch at there's and eat their pathetic yellowed cabbage leaves :D

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    As a newbie to veg growing-well vegetable I expect to eat I went with what I know and trust, fish blood and bone.

We'll have to wait and see what becomes of it.

15. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    The growmore thing with me and cabbage started in the 70`s when I first started growing veg. I bought the plants and someone gave me some growmore, so I used it. If you read the original cabbage thread you will find out what happened. Nowadays I would feed with S of A.:thumb: