1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bolting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Jon, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Jon

Jon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Some of my p.tunnel crops bolt such as potatoes and cabbages, any suggestions as to why, there is plenty of ventilation so I keep the temperature reasonanbly controlled?

Jon:help:

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Welcome to GC Jon

Even with vents open during the day it can still get too hot in a glasshouse/polytunnel if the sun comes out and just recently it has been quite mild again and things in and around the garden are mixed up and confused about which season they are in.

How is your watering regime? Inconsistant watering can cause bolting too.

Steve...:)

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,192
    When you say 'bolting' do you mean flowering? I've never heard that term applied to potatoes, they will flower most seasons anyway, I'm guessing you are growing some for Christmas? My spuds flowered back in may.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jon

Jon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Steve
      I water in the evening every day. I do find that the tunnel gets very condensated though and I find this drips on the plants, could this be an underlying problem?

Jon