1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bonsai help please!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by clorgan, May 25, 2020.

1. clorgan

clorgan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    20200525_111900.jpg 20200525_174354.jpg 20200525_174403 (1).jpg

I got a bonsai yesterday - soil was very dry when I received it so I watered. Today many of the leaves were green but crispy and falling off. I trimmed what I believed to be dead/brittle branches and leaves. Not sure if that was the right thing to do, it now looks very bare and I'm worried it's dying? I put it in water in the sink for 10 minutes, as I read that's what you should do when they dry up. Still green underneath the bark. Any advice would be massively appreciated! Not the best start to owning a bonsai, but I really want to learn!

Top picture is what it looked like this morning - bottom two are now.

Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi Looks like
      Tree of a Thousand Stars - Serrisa foetida not the easist to start with as they dont like to over watered or kept
      dry, a sunny windowsill is best ...if un happy the leaves drop off .... give it a chance it may grow back

• clorgan

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for your reply! I believe it's a Chinese Elm, I've heard they're suitable for beginners. I'm really hoping it may be just a bit stressed from the change of environment and will grow back!

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Not that easy to grow ...

• clorgan

Ratings:
      +1
      So it seems!!! :gaah: Keeping fingers crossed!