1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Ivy?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by accidentalgardener, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Paula,Dee and John you know you're all quite mad but I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

John hope you're feeling a little bit better and can now sit more comfortable after your adventure with that tube....sounds very painful :eek:

Paula you have to be careful with Boston Ivy it truely looks wonderful in autumn with it's glorious red coloured leaves but once the leaves had gone it looks a bit of a mess.

At our old house we mixed a large leaf ivy within our Boston ivy so the vines of the B/ivy were covered when the leaves had fallen off....it's just a great shame that the B/ivy isn't a 'real' ivy and keeps its leaves all year round. :(
    Helen.xxx.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  3. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi to you one and all :D

Helen, good to hear from ya gal :D

Walnut,

any idea's on something more suitable? If i have to look at that fascia for much longer I will go crazy - ok, yes i know i'm there already :D

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Which way does the wall face?

5. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It's a northish facing frontage Geoff, but to be honest the reason for lack of light is the size of the hedge, it's 7ft. Tried growing a clematis up there but it popped its clogs.
    The Wisteria is alive but won't grow quickly enough to cover it.

Any idea's will be appreciated Geoff, thanks in advance [​IMG]

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Paula, how about Hydrangea petiolaris, it doesn`t mind, cool, shady walls. Or you could try a honeysuckle.

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    David, great idea.. now Paula listen to the expert because i dont think the boston ivy's a good idea in the long term...

8. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Daitheplant, thanks for that, i will have a serious look at Hydrangia, Honeysuckle doesnt seem to like me very much [​IMG]

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Paula try Chinese or Japanese Honeysuckle
    or Halls Honeysuckle Lonicera japonica doesn't mind a bit of shade.

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,486
    John said
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I can't decide whether to shoot myself or eat myself to death.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you decide to eat yourself to death do you start at your toes? :D

11. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    :D :D :D Shiney and John,

I have Himalayan Honeysuckle seeds Walnut, but will definitely try the others, i tried golden honeysuckle from T&M this year and it took one look at me and keeled over and popped it's clogs :eek:

thanks to you all [​IMG]

12. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Just one more Paula. There is an evergreen climbing Hydrangea called Seemanii.

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    John sorry to hear that you have the dreaded furious bowl problem.I suffer with it as well so can sympathise.I was told to increase my fibre content so bought some Alpen but that was like eating wood.I eat mainly granary bread now,shredded wheat,and weetabix which I find helps,though if I have a lot of stress in my life then I get the usual colicky tummy.Hope you get better real soon [​IMG] [​IMG]

Paula what about Virginia Creeper for the extension-Parthenocissus Quinquefolia.It flowers in May-June and the height is up to 30ft in old money or 8mtrs in new money [​IMG]

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    David. You will wonder why I am buying all these new plants but I am opening a new garden area for the new g.house at the back of the house and from another thread have just bought Choisya Aztec Pearl which you very selfishly refused to pay for. 2 questions -

1) I like the look of H. Seemanii but it is for a very sheltered position which will only get sun in the evening and in winter probably not much at all. Will it be OK? the people trying to sell it to me say yes but I prefer an independent opinion.

2) If you wont pay for the choisya then how about this one? [​IMG]

15. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Kandy in my worry about plants I missed your post about my not very happy bowel syndrome, which has just been diagnosed. (And to think I thought it was me that was irritable.) Thanks for your kind words. I shall just have to watch my diet and keep taking these darned acid suppressing tablets that have been prescribed for me by a 16 year old medical registrar. Tchaa! Actually, for a kid he does seem to know his stuff. Still prefer butchery though, but it's useless for this. [​IMG]