1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Boston Ivy?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by accidentalgardener, Nov 25, 2007.

1. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    John, as long as it is out of any really cold winds I would say you will be alright. And if you go back to the Choisya thread you will see that I have put a cheque in the post.

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    David, please make the cheque for Ã?£22. [​IMG]

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    And you owe me �£25 for the recommendations :D :D . Seriously though John, if you are looking for evergreens for this area there are two I would suggest for winter interest. Sarcoccoca humilis and Daphne odora. Both are highly scented winter flowering shrubs.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks David.I really need all the advice I can get for this area. It used to be used for vegetables but I discovered that Messrs. Tesco and Sainsbury do most of those better than me (I can hear the vegetable purists shrieking now) plus the fact (and mostly) the grumpy old men of my local club tend to grow loads of veggies and give them away because they have too many at the same time. I'm quite happy with that [​IMG]

So for about 8 years, because it's to the north of the house, it has been fallow. But the new g.house arrives Monday [​IMG] and I would like to do something with the whole area (if I don't go bankrupt in the effort). All of the area gets the sun first thing then only the furthest bit from the house gets the mid-day until the sun gets round the house and it all gets late afternoon/evening sun.

The g.house is going to the north-west of the area and should be comfortable. But for part shade recommendations...... Well come on GCers. :D

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    john what about a tree fern..the good old hostas..Box..hope im on the right track [​IMG]

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You certainly are Dee. I have a couple of D. antarcticas out the front but I think another at least one in the full sun area may be just the ticket (if I knew where the ticket took me) and certainly hostas. They are a definite yes-yes. Keep 'em coming. [​IMG]

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Fatsia. im trying to think what does'e well in my semi shaded end..Ooooo :D

8. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ooooooooooooo you may well say YDD hope it is semi shaded at least [​IMG] :D

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Where the sun dont shine Paula :D

10. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  11. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Grown well Boston Ivy is a beautiful climber. I used to have it on the shed, well protected facing the middle of the garden. [​IMG]

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys. Just 8.15 a.m. and already I have spent money. Dee,I have bought a fatsia moseri which is the smaller type and BM I bought some veitchii seed which I see is nicer in autumn. Just what I was looking for.

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    john your garden's gonna look great, and the greenhouse coming monday, your gonna be busy busy. i remember when i got mine i was really excited, but bcos i bought it off someone its seen its last days now, the doors wobbly and theres glass missing where next doors boys like to kick the football, replaced it 3 times :rolleyes: give up really, maybe one of those plastic ones next.. hope youve been taking before pics [​IMG]

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,523
    David's suggestion of sarcococca is a good one because it is very shade tolerant with a lovely winter scent. As it seems as though you are going to have a sheltered position the scent will be better contained and you will be able to take full advantage of it.

15. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Shiney (and originally of course David) I can probably incorporate a sarcococca but am having trouble finding one on-line. So I'd better start phoning local nurseries. Again, Morrison's have some on the approach to their store...... [​IMG]