1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bougainvillea not growing, and small leaves

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Boug123, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Boug123

Boug123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I bought this bougainvillea 1 year ago and it was growing lushly. Last summer I left it in the pot and all was fine, with healthy leaves growing. I transplanted it last September to the large ceramic container and since then it barely grows and the leaves are tiny. It's now full summer where I live in Mallorca, Spain. I live next to the sea. The plant receives lots of sun (6 hours), I water it when the soil's dry, I add nutrients but the leaves won't grow. By comparison I have another bougainvillea which I transplanted arothe same time to a smaller ceramic pot and this is doing fine. I'll attach photos of the problem one and the healthy one. Any thoughts what could be the cause of the lack of growth? Any help appreciated. IMG_20200729_102004.jpg IMG_20200729_102016.jpg IMG_20200729_102031.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    Ola @Boug123 and welcome to GC.

I am in Algarve and have had most of my Bougies for around 20 years. There are different varieties and they "bloom" at different times. Mine do better in the Winter and Spring and not in the heat of the Summer. They do go dormant and leaves may drop and not regrow till they wake up. Cut back on the watering ... I think sometimes we get a little carried away in the heat and drown things!

Bougainvillea

May I suggest you put your location in your details as it helps others to advise.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Boug123

Ratings:
      +3
      Hi Victoria, I live by the sea in Mallorca, Baleares.

I appreciate your advice, It's possible it's getting too much water but I only water when the top few inches of soil are bone dry. I'll maybe cut down more
      Thanks

• Like Like x 2
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,949
        Hi again @Boug123.

Okay by the sea and in pots may be slightly different. All of mine are in the ground and I am about 20 minutes from the sea.

Also your seasons may be slightly different. Here is one of mine by the house in April ...

Bougainvillea2 Apr 20.jpg

... and my shrub one in November ...

Bougainvillea Shrub Oct 10 (2).JPG

I will call on @pete and @strongylodon to see if they can give some advice.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
          Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
        • Boug123

Ratings:
          +3
          Hi Victoria.

Thank you. And those plants you have there are fantastic. I hope one day to have mine as lush as those

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,077
          Only experience I have of Bougainvillea is growing in the UK.
          Its basically not winter hardy here in normal winters, so pot growing is often used.
          I do have a purple variety that I planted in the ground in a sheltered position, and recently got rid of it due to the fact it was too rampant.
          I took a couple of cuttings a couple of years ago and one is potted one planted out, both have small leaves and are not like the rampant parent.

My guess is that pot growing severely holds them back, foliage wise but can promote earlier flowering.
          My planted out plant appears to be sulking, small leaves and no flowers, its very dry where its planted, basically too dry, yes in the UK.:biggrin:
          But that dry spot will suit it if it can survive another winter and it becomes established.

I personally dont think you will over water, in hot weather, as long as the pot is well drained.

There are a few different varieties that have different parentage and probably some are more rampant than others, also, hardiness varies I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,077
            Might sound like a bad idea, but if all else fails I would consider cutting the plant hard back during next winter, maybe to a foot tall.
            Often that encourages rampant growth the following spring/summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +28,533
              Likewise, I can't really help as all of mine are in the conservatory, all have large leaves and in flower but outside is a different matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Boug123

Ratings:
                +3
                Thank you to all of you. It doesn't sound like it's anything too serious at least. I had thought that it could still be adapting to the large ceramic pot, but there's not much I can do now.

I appreciate your advice and if it doesn't improve I may try cutting it much smaller as Pete suggests.

Thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 1