1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a new heater

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by BFOSP, Jan 9, 2021.

1. AdrianBg

AdrianBg Gardener

Ratings:
    +135
    That's a good idea, I might try that as well

2. zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +577
    I'm finding this thread very interesting as I have a new greenhouse on order which will be about 9ft by 15 ft which will have electricity and water and been pondering on what heating to have.

3. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    I have found that having small fans operating works well to keep the hot air circulating. I use server fans which are about 9" and they are run from solar fed battery system. So after the initial layout of money for the equipment, there is zero cost.

Electricity is far too expensive here to use for heating so my little natural gas heater is put into use for spring and fall.

4. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
  5. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,610
    @rustyroots that looks quite interesting! How does it operate? Seems mysterious to me. :redface:

6. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    It is electric and it has a built in thermostat (so I wouldn't need a plug). The reviews seem pretty good and I have seen the same type of thing on other sites, with similar reviews. I am going to get one for the shed where I have set up my propagation are, just to keep the ambient temp a little higher.

I love to hear if anyone has/does use one like this and their opinions.
    Rusty

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,694
      Took one down the tip last week.:biggrin:

No, it was an older type, 5 ft long that I had rigged up to a room thermostat, was pretty useless regarding holding a decent temperature via that method so hadn't used it for years.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Have used a non thermostat one (Toolstations) for about 3-4 years in our little 4x2 ft orchid enclosure within the greenhouse.
        Its a 180W one and as you can see, keep it high up so the fan can take the heat from it quicky and circulate it around; being up there it stay away from the watering etc .

Use our own electronic themostat to keep the area at very close 15c as most heaters use mechanical thermostats which can drop 3-4c below the desired temperature before switching back on.

The fan is a cheapish 6" usb desktop type, been surpised how its also run non stop since 2017 !

000352.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi,

As mentioned in the previous entry we have a 4x2ft enclosure for our orchids ,half of which is now turned over to propagation of flowers etc.

Its lid is currently pulled opened via a string from the greenhouses auto roof vent, but that can be rather slow to react and the temp in the frame can quickly go above 30c.

Was chatting to an old workmate and he suggested one of these linear actuators, not something we really knew about.
          He said because of its power it would open and close the lid and also the front door of the frame, so allowing a good airflow though.
          He posted one on to me as he had several in his car stock and its just arrived, looks quiet a neat device.

Wondered if anyone had used such a device in the greenhouse ?

Have got to add some temperature control electronics so looks like an interesting little project.

000472.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2