1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit -am I stupid or what

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,625
    Space 1999 - it was the episode with Brian the homicidal robot - classic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,526
      So which politician are you describing? :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,988
        I really don't know why we have to have these 'ere TV debates,just because someone is on telly won't change my mind.I couldn't give a flying fig what they 'reckon' to 'promise'..it'll all come out in the wash.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,838
          I'm of the general same opinion. I would like while answering questions or otherwise being interviewed, for one of the politicians to actually come across as not eccentric or a bit mad. Out of the 'leaders', Bojo never seems fully in control, JC is working SO hard to give that appearance he's unhinged; Jo Swinson is manic and the less said about Sturgeon the better. Farage seems the most composed but oh so very smarmy and untrustworthy.

The blues' gimmick last night with their Twitter account was just stupid. What a very special way to build anger against your own party! Right up there with May's great idea to have an election...

• Agree Agree x 3
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,077
            They have them because that's what they do in the USA.:biggrin:

Also the media are actually in charge and it's good for them to have this kind of thing.

I'm now totally fed up day after day listening to the latest "promise" we are getting from this crowd of total liars.
            Everyday they all come out with some new idea that they think is going to get them the power.
            They really are pathetic the whole bloody lot of them.

• Agree Agree x 5
            • Like Like x 2
            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +49,623
              I didn't watch the debates, but have seen the odd snippet on TV today and from what I can gather our political classes seem to have a policy of "well, if you think I am bad, at least I am not as bad as *insert opposition here*" - well, I think I am done to be honest. My area is pretty much sewn up as a true-blue area anyway (despite me not wanting them to win as I don't trust them), and there is not a chance in hell that I am voting for the Liberal Undemocrats or Labour, which quite literally nobody to vote for.

• Like Like x 2
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,077
                I really do to some extent blame the media for all this ridiculous situation, they are so ready to proclaim the slightest chink that anyone shows, and then report it to the death.

I'm always ready to accept no one is perfect, and they might say the odd wrong thing while being interviewed etc.
                But they are all so intent on looking good on camera none of them are telling the truth and seem to feel they have to keep trumping one another, (card game, not that bloke in America).

Which is why we are getting such stupid and outrageous prattle from the lot of them.

• Agree Agree x 4
                • Like Like x 2
                • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                  Ratings:
                  +6,097
                  Just watched a clip on you tube of Lord Sugar. No not Tate & Lyle sugar.:whistle: Lord Sugar stated that, if Corbyn gets in, he will leave the country. Something of a turn about. Didn't he gain his Knighthood etc by dropping loads of dosh into labours coffer.

I like and often enjoy, listening to a good debate. A debate where each individual allows others to comment. IMO all this political shouting and bawling is nowt but a slanging match. This is what the producers want as it get the viewers on the edge of their seats and gets them shouting at the TV. Why can't the majority of 'speakers' form and deliver sentences that are to the point and not....'well, er, um well we will er um etc.

Then being a neutral. There is deceit by all parties. This general election is being driven by Brexit. People of Britain voted out of the EU 3 yrs ago. Politicians, who ar employed by the public are refusing, and say stop Brexit. Perhaps we should all join that poor old donkey on the treadmill. C'mon. Lets all go around in circles.

Steward. Another double please.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Loofah

Ratings:
                    +21,838
                    Oh the media just love an election and tbh the last 3 years of Brexit have been mana from heaven for the industry, every day a new topic of political fallout!

I think most reasonable people understand that people will make mistakes and that this is a time of particular high pressure; the interviews also add to that so the politicians will make slips ups. No big deal in normal society but the dumb buggers will not admit they made a booboo! That's what annoys me! Just admit it - you made a slip up or you got it wrong. But no, they have to play the big man that cannot ever be wrong. So dumb. Have a bit of gentle humility and perhaps just humanise yourselves a bit?

Make that two!

• Agree Agree x 5
                    • Like Like x 2
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      My once Conservative, now Lib Dem, MP sent me a letter today, as well as to the rest of her constituency, that she hoped that, on her previous record, I will vote for her again. I have a feeling that by Friday 13th December, she will be feeling unlucky, but I don't think it will bother her too much as she is a multi-millionaire.:dunno::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +86,077
                        Can we afford labour?
                        The "book of lies" commonly known as a manifesto seems pretty expensive.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          It looks, to me, as though Labour hasn't learnt from the past and want to nationalise everything which, because I'm old enough to remember, when the Trains was last nationalised and everyone for decades had been screaming" about it's late trains, high cost, inefficiency, etc.....does that sound familiar:scratch:.........and now Labour want to spend Billions on buying the Rail system back on Goverment control again. It was no different with Water and Electricity with complaints about high priced bills, little improvement, and lack of investment.:dunno::wallbanging: So, if Labour become the next government, we'll have Steptoe and the 3 Stooges running the finances of the country and it's nationalised utility companies..........and, whenever the next General Election would be, another note left by the leaving Labour Chancellor saying "sorry, there's no money left":gaah::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 3
                          • Like Like x 2
                          • pete

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +86,077
                            I think it's very easy to forget how bad things were when it was all nationalised.
                            The whole workforce had a job for life and anytime next week would do.

The unions actually run the companies and nothing worked, including the "workers".

If we go back to that, expect a three day week , and the taxpayer propping up large failed companies.

• Agree Agree x 5
                            • Like Like x 2
                            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                              Ratings:
                              +118,526
                              I listened to an interview with one of the shadow ministers who was 'explaining' how they would raise the money to do all the things promised. A lot of what they say they are going to do are good ideas but I can't see how they could possibly justify how it would work. It was full of implausible measures and and unsustainable implementations. The interviewer was quite kind with pointing out possible errors but the public (it was a phone in) weren't quite as kind.

Raising income tax is a self evident income generator and needs little explanation. Raising business taxes and business rates across the board will only result in lost jobs or higher prices to the consumer. I'm certainly in favour of making sure that the big businesses actually pay what they should (thinking, for example, of social media companies and enormous multi national sales and distribution companies) but to hear the interviewee's (can't remember the name) feeble and fumbled explanation of why it won't affect small businesses made me want to sit them down and teach them simple maths!

Fortunately for me, I've been retired 20 years and little of what they propose would directly affect me.

I think there should be a compulsory course for all proposed Chancellors of the Exchequer on practical economics and that they couldn't have the job without passing a harsh exam. :paladin:

• Agree Agree x 3
                              • Like Like x 2
                              • Loofah

Ratings:
                                +21,838
                                I don;t think raising business rates is even possible now, there's be a revolt. They're what, about 50% of rent already? Large businesses are trying to get rent and rate reductions so if they can't afford it what chance does anyone else have?!
                                Simple changes to the terminology in tax laws would ensure big corporations pay tax properly but I wonder how committed HMRC are to this? They seem to be so ineffective that it's simpler for them to harass small fry businesses.

I'd be very happy if these government roles had qualification requirements attached but then they'd never get filled!

• Agree Agree x 3
                                • Like Like x 1
                                • Funny Funny x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.