Brexit -am I stupid or what

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,927
    I completely agree:pathd::rasp:...:biggrin:

I really do:thumbsup: It's all about ability,If a man or a woman can do the job well that's good enough for me..What isn't good enough for me is how women (not all) are bleating on about being badly done to and to be quite frank I'm bored with it...:yawn:...Why do women suddenly have to be seen to rule the world or there is hell to pay...Us women know how good we are and to me we don't need to prove it...:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,159
      Wouldn't worry about her getting in, Herr Starmer is the next Labour leader IMO. Just not sure what he'll really bring to the table other than that very odd look he always has on his face...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,834
        Hmm, we'll see, Loofah:dunno: The Far Left still have a lot of power and influence in the Party and Starmer was a long time member of the "three Stooges" on Corbyn's front bench. I, personally, wouldn't like any of Corbyn's present front bench to be the Leader of Labour Party. Starmer had, I think, long term plans of becoming Leader and was just waiting for the right moment. He also presents a near "middle of the road" attitude but if he really wasn't a far Left believer he wouldn't have got on the Front Bench. Over the nearly four years of the Brexit blocking and trying to overturn the Referendum we watched as any "middle of the road" MP on the Front Bench was squeezed out leaving only those who Corbyn supporters, and that included Starmer. If Starmer does become Leader then, as I said before, he will have to watch his back as there will be attacks on him from the Far Left extremists with Long-Baily claiming "innocence" about it/
        I think Lisa Nandy would be a good choice as she does appear to be a strong person with less extreme views.:coffee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,834
        I've told this true tale before but it's worth telling again. I only won one argument with my wife where she was forced to agree with me:heehee: For some reason we were talking about how intelligent a Man was and how intelligent a Woman was. Let me say that my Wife was always immaculate and looked good even when on her knees covered in soil digging and pulling out weeds and planting Hardy Perennials and never seemed to get her long red nails dirty. So, getting as much distance as I could from those sharp long nails:doh:, I said "Well, I'm smarter than you anyway" and watched my Wife narrow her eyes and take that stance of"Oh Boy, is he in trouble now"that every Wife takes when her Husband starts to get out of line:hate-shocked::heehee:
        So, keeping my distance, I said "Well, work it out. I married you, now that was smart.:thumbsup: But, you, you married me. Now that wasn't smart!!:nonofinger::heehee:
        My Wife had to give in and agree with me!!

• Funny Funny x 8
        • Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,293
          My best quote from our 'discussions' was when I said "But that's not logical".

Her answer was "Don't try and bring logic into it. We're having an argument!"

• Funny Funny x 5
          • Like Like x 1
          • Loofah

Ratings:
            +21,159
            I reckon he was paying lip service to stay on the front line; his policies will change instantly he gets in. I think all politicians have to watch their backs, don't they?! Just a given of the job.
            Nandy might be a good choice but I think she's thrown in behind Starmer as deputy now

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Coachman

Coachman Gardener

Retired Brit
              Ratings:
              +61
              What I can't reconcile is the system in BOTH parties where only those who pay a subscription, i.e. the hard liners, have a vote, but then expect that candidate to be accepted by the country as a whole. Corbyn is a prime example but was a backlash against Blair who, to get into power, was so far right he was more Conservative than John Major.

• Like Like x 1
              • Loofah

Ratings:
                +21,159
                I get that only paid up members have the vote, afterall if you're that invested in the party and it's future then it should be those that choose. Anyone has the option of signing up.
                What Corbyn did, to suit his own skewed view, is place onerous requirements on top of regular voting practice making it more likely the party stays in line with his 'vision'. Hopefully the next leader will nix the additional rules

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +84,340
                  Personally I couldn't care less who becomes leader of the labour party, the further left the better, that way they will stay where they are, out of it.,

• Agree Agree x 5
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +2,881
                    Let`s be fair, the labour party does what they are told by the unions.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,834
                      Just watched the EU Council vote on the UK leaving the EU and it wasn't 100%, some MEP's voted against and some abstained. Farage and his colleagues made a show of leaving, getting up the EU's nose by waving the Union Jack after he made his usual blunt and frank speech saying that he loves Europe but that he hates the EU, it's political views and the way it has so often steam rollered over a members referendum on an issue wanting a new referendum or basically ignored the result of the referendum........don't know why, but that reminds of something:scratch::doh::heehee: In the end he had his mike cut off because he and his MEPs were waving the Union Jack, but that didn't faze as ignoring demands from the Council Chair he left with a big grin on his face. Farage and his MEP's left happily, but some of the UK's other MEP's left unhappily.......the end of the Gravy Train.
                      In a interview the Chair of the EU (a Irish MP) said afterwards that she thought Farage was a rule breaker and a bully and that after his speech where he accused the EU of being a bully. She also said that Farage had spent the last 20 years trying to destroy the EU and now he'd succeeded but he wouldn't win:hate-shocked:....:scratch::doh:..........now there's a bit of "irish" for you:heehee: (apologies to any Irish members:love30:)
                      It's only when you get interviews on the Media that you can see just how many Bureaurcrats there are from all the countries, it's almost beyond the imagination just how vast the EU machinerary is and the fact that it "moves" from Brussels to Strasbrourg
                      hikes the cost of the whole thing up astronomically. In a way, it's a bit like "1984" in action with a relatively small group of Bureaucrats having such power and, in fact, if you look deeper there's an even smaller group of Bureacrats, the elite, who actually control the whole machinery in order to further the Federation policy and by using the economic debt of EU members keeping them in order.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +84,340
                      Although I want us out of the EU I'm not sure I was that impressed by the antics of the Brexit party MEPs .
                      Personally I think a nice dignified exit would have been preferable.
                      It was all a bit childish I think.

Just a quiet exit with a smug grin would have been better.

• Like Like x 3
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Loofah

Ratings:
                        +21,159
                        Yup, no reason for the petty behaviour but that's Mr Farage. Bit too smug for my tastes and it was really a pointless little tirade.

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                          Ratings:
                          +48,848
                          Well, we are all but out now thankfully.

• Like Like x 4
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,834
                            I loved it!!!:dunno::heehee: Dignity???!!!! To Hell with dignity!!!! For the last 4 years during the so-called Trade negotiations the UK has been treated with no dignity whatsoever whereas Contempt, Hypocrascy, and Arrogance was the main parts of the recipe......or are we all suffering a severe bout of amnesia?:scratch:

Farage? I wouldn't buy a second hand car from him (or Trump), but he has, whether not you like it, been a catalyst for getting, and keeping, BREXIT going. He's said, and has kept saying, the very things we've bee advocating in this very, (long:love30:) long thread. I've found myself nodding my head over the last 4 years when the media has shown some of his speeches or in some of his interviews. I don't like or trust Farage but he has been constant in his refusal to bow to the EU either in the EU Parliament or out of it.
                            Tirade? He speaks forcefully, articulately, and without fear of criticism.........and he has said mostly what you and I have said or echoed, in some form or other, in this Thread.
                            As I said I don't like or trust Farage, don't like his other polices and nor would I vote for him, but I have to acknowledge that he was an element that got us to, and through, BREXIT.:dunno:

• Like Like x 3
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.