1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit -am I stupid or what

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    I didn't mean for them to use those words - it was more the sentiment........ the time for chatting is now over, and therefore we should simply stop all negotiations, payments and get out without any deal; I suspect once they realise that their bully-boy tactics haven't worked, and that we do actually have the gumption to leave and leave them high and dry, that they will suddenly want to talk to us - especially as they want to deter Italy and Poland from following suit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      This is the sort of approach that frankly terrifies the living daylights out of me. I honestly don't know where to start. If international relations were to be ironed out in such spectacularly simple terms, in the blink of an eye, then the whole world's problems could be solved over a pint by a few blokes in their local pub. What scares me to death is how people on both sides of this infernal debate are so incredibly confident that their side and their's only is 100% foolproof, as if they have tried it before and they have a crystal ball. The truth is that a gung-ho approach like the one you advocate could lead to medicine shortages, the scrapping of decades' worth of cooperative work on education, science, counter-terrorism, and to mass unemployment. Of course, it also may not lead to this. But the idea that Theresa May should turn around to her fellow professionals and tell them to F-off ad just take it from there is...well, I don't have any words for it to be honest. Tell me, where is your precedent?[/QUOTE]

Do you seriously think that I meant for Theresa May to go over and literally tell them to F-Off? Because if you do, that frankly terrifies me! Come on fella, we are chatting on a web-forum here - this ain't exactly a UN conference.

Maybe the worlds problems SHOULD be sorted in a more simple fashion, as clearly the current methods do not work and they cost all of us a bleedin' fortune.

Oh, and I am sick and tired of reading could - anything could happen, but it is not a guarantee. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that all of the propaganda that is being shoved out anti-Brexit is true - we all know politicians lie.

No offence, but I am not going to sit and play keyboard warriors over this, at least this weekend - I am in agony with a capital F, and therefore in no mood to be discussing such a sensitive subject, so please do not be offended if I do not reply further.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          [​IMG]

Get some rest and sleep, FC, and I hope you can relieve the pain you're in, my friend.:thumbsup::love30::snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,622
            I doubt I will get much sleep this weekend pal - this pain is pretty severe to be honest, and there ain't any whisky in the house (until tomorrow at least!) But typing hurts, so I won't be doing much of it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              We knew that, well, I did :thumbsup: I think one (our negotiators) needs to keep a cool head. It’s easy to get carried away with emotions and sentiment, but at the end of the day, this is peoples lives and prosperity we’re talking about. In some ways, on an emotional level, I sometimes think we should just pull up the drawbridge, that way it will all be over. Thing is, this is serious stuff, it needs to be done right, whatever the outcome.

• Like Like x 3
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                The trouble is, Freddy, there is no right way if one party is being stalled, blocked, stonewalled, obstructed, by the other party who is using their rules, regulations, and legislation to the very last comma and full stop.:wallbanging::snorky: I think it's long been obvious that the EU regards the UK as a awkward, rebellious, trouble maker not willing to do as it is told while paying a huge amount of £Billions for the privilege. Amicable agreements are reached by amicable participants under amicable conditions........and I haven't seen the EU being amicable during the negotiations, more like .........
                [​IMG]
                and then
                [​IMG]

:dunno::heehee:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                I'll be right over with a bottle of.......

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                  Ratings:
                  +12,508
                  52 v 48 invites a compromise. Polarised views aren’t allowing.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    I'm sorry, Freddy, but in any Court of Arbitration, European or UK, 52% v 48% means in language or political situation/decision means a clear division and "victory". 50% v 50% would call for a rerun or a comprise. In any General Election I've never heard of a Political Party being defeated by a narrow margin of even 1% asking for a compromise. If the winning party is over the line then it's a democratic win. Calling into question a 4% win is not a compromise it's merely blurring the lines of of a decision and democracy........that is a common practice in Europe and Scotland but hopefully we won't do it with the UK referendum.:wallbanging::snorky:

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
                    Ratings:
                    +12,508
                    So, the views of the other 48% should be ignored. Ok. Maybe we should be shipped out...

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      You've lost me, Freddy:dunno: Nobody reviling that part of the population who voted remain but what you seem to be suggesting is that there should be a "compromise" where the 54% who voted out should have that decision questioned and nullified on the basis that it wasn't the right answer for the remainers. The fact is that the democratic decision of the UK population voted to leave the EU...........that's fact.:dunno: Obviously, there will never agreement between opposite sides of the Referendum but I don't think either side should get angry or ask for a "compromise" which is really asking for a change in the decision. It's been decided by a majority vote to leave the EU and what we should be doing to honouring that vote and standing together to get through these difficult times and get to the other side.:snorky:

• SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
                      +746
                      So sorry you feel that way Freddie, I take your point 100% for what its worth. I voted Leave, and even if I still supported that decision (which I don't) I remember thinking throughout the whole thing that whichever side prevailed, the eventual outcome would have to accommodate all views as far as possible. The government of a country cannot be run on a winners vs losers basis, that way chaos lies, and to disregard the feelings of those who voted to Remain is fundamentally wrong for two reasons: first, it is a basic aspect of any civilized democracy that those who govern do so in the interests of all, not just those who voted for them. An elected MP who favouritises constituents who voted for them or are from their own group or class will get a bad reputation and this goes against the spirit of democracy. But secondly, the fact is that anyone who feels strongly on this issue and has experience of it is going to have valuable contributions to make in any consultation going forward. It is not uncommon for incoming PM's to invite previous occupants to No. 10 to enjoy the benefit of their experience, or for defeated Presidential candidates to be offered a role as deputy to the person who was chosen. Britain is currently heading for some very choppy waters, and anyone who thinks that the views of nearly half the population can just be overlooked is severely mistaken. It will lead to widespread disaffection and a sense of disconnection - some of the very forces that gave rise to the Leave vote in the first place. I was one of those who felt the political class simply were not interested in me and, having never voted for extremist parties, this was the first chance I had at a blow against the powers that be. Our democracy is a participatory excercise and should be as consultative as it is representative. If this leads to a second, third or umpteenth referendum, then so be it - let's be glad we live in a country where such things can happen rather than a police state or theocracy. I personally think a second ref could well prove divisive and inflammatory, but it should never be ruled out as a matter of course, especially now the terms of leaving seem markedly at odds with what were offered. I hope whatever sense you have of being ignored or overlooked soon fades. This is your country as much as anyone's, and we all have to work together going forwards.

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                        Ratings:
                        +12,508
                        No one remembers the losers of an FA cup final...

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,097
                          The picture says it all. I.ve spent most of the day having my preassessment done at hospital. My cancer has returned for the 4th time. Surgery is 31.12.18

IMO whatever way you look at Brexit, the EU has got us by the short and curlies. Have to say. The PM has stuck to her guns, especially as she voted to stay in the EU.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                          Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.