1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit -am I stupid or what

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I think the fact that the new EU "whatever her title is", is already saying she would allow another extension says it all.

They are as afraid of a no deal as our lot are, its just a matter of who blinks first.

If they weren't they would have dumped us by now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      I suspect the only countries that would be treated the same are those that have deep pockets. I'm sure the likes of Greece (Euro currency aside) wouldn't have as many obstacles put in their way if they wanted to leave.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Welcome back Amandii. You sound to be in good voice.

Just a thought regarding the prospective new EU President. Should it come to another extension being granted say in October. What are the possibilities that, at the end of that extension, we are allowed even more time. Such a situation could go on forever! Makes me think that the other members are afraid to lose us, due to our monetary input and our value as a customer. Just a thought.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Sheal, I'm not sure about that:dunno: Greece and Italy are deep in debt to the EU which is how the EU has kept them in the EU by threatening them with financial penalties that would have ruined them. The EU doesn't want to lose control of it's members and uses the Euro to keep them obedient. The UK has always been regarded as the rebel and black sheep in the EU mainly due to the fact that we didn't give up Sterling and take the Euro as our currency, which meant that they couldn't put their heel on our necks as they can other EU members. Greece now has a newly elected Nationalist and pro EU Government while Italy has a anti EU Government which is defying the EU by spending more that the EU will authorise them to. The EU is threatening Italy with financial sanctions and penalties if it doesn't fall into line but Italy is trying to ignore them. I don't like the idea of a non elected group of Bureaucrats wanting to create a Federation of survile members telling democratically elected Governments what to do. The EU does not want any country to leave their control and grip and so has blocked the UK's attempts to leaving the EU under a fair deal thereby showing the rest of the EU what will happen to them should they dare to think of leaving.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Hi Mike, that is my point and question. We have had over two and a half years, two extensions of Article 50 with no one in the UK or the EU agreeing to a deal fair to both sides. The EU has demanded deliberately restrictive conditions on the UK's knowing full well that it would cause chaos politically, so the UK is now in a complete political disarray unable to agree to any deal. and that suits the EU fine as they would like the UK to disavow Article 50. What is the polint of another extension if the EU refuses to negotiate another deal, scrap the Back Stop clause which was demanded and used a barrier to the UK Government getting Parliament to agree to any deal.

Well, they certainly don't want to lose our financial contribution, that's true. But our value as a customer is easily solved by agreeing to a fair deal and placing no extra taxes on trade or goods. Don't forget the unelected EU officials want to create a Federation which has total political and financial power over it's members where countries lose their national identity
            .whereas, at the moment, the EU makes the political andf financial decisions and puts it forward to "approval" to members still trying to retain their national identity while under a continuing flood of EU legislation aimed to expanding EU control over members.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
              Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,610
              You're probably right there Armandii. I hadn't looked at it from that point of view.

If Britain could have foreseen the control that the EU has over us now from when we first joined the EC, I think our politicians wouldn't have been so keen to sign up. Britain has always had a unique or stubborn independence regarding the rest of Europe and like yourself I think that should return. In fact I believe that living as 'one country' doesn't and will never work for any country. We live and think too differently.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Pretty much my thinking too ARMANDII :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Hi Sheal, well, the UK retained it's financial independence at that time by retaining the Sterling as I mentioned and it was all about trade and nothing else when we joined. The EU mutated into a political animal and gradually grew into a bureaucratic monster where it became more powerful than it's members serving it's desire tp turn into a all controlling Federation. We've always been regarded as the awkward rebel who had no interest in a Federation and just wanted to trade. The British had a global empire and, like other empires, it crumbled after a period. The EU wants to create a Empire/Federation with complete control over Europe and having it's own army created and drawn from it's members..........History really does repeat itself and mankind does not appear to learn.:wallbanging::dunno:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
                  • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,289

Nick

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +21,808
                      Johnson then. I wonder how far the EU will let him embarrass himself.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Probably, Loofah, no more than all the MP's, in all of the Parties, have embarrassed themselves, and ignored results of the first referendum, over the last 2 and half years. Perhaps what we need is do is start backing our UK leaders when they'e negotiating leaving the EU instead of us all giving the EU's positition an even highers status, by our MP'S making the UK a laughing stock, while the UK media and public carries on, as it has done for decades, undermining Leaders and governments of any political colour. I'm no fan of Boris, but the UK is in deep mire, politically, with the EU and certain countries that are convinced that they will be able to treat us as weak, mindless puppets who they can get to revoke Article 50, give up Sterling which has kept out us, for the most, out of the financial control of an undemocratic organisation that wants the UK to disappear into a subservient source of income.
                        As I said, I'm no fan of Boris, but imidst all the politcal chaos, the inability of all parties to recognise that, because they are pursuing the protection of their own careers and agendas, they have failed the country by locking Parliament into a state of being unable to agree to any deal that could be negotiated by any leader of any party, of any colour.
                        We can, and have done for generations, mocked, derided, undermined, denigrated, all our Prime Ministers, and while we continue to do so all we are doing, in this case,is helping the EU whose biggest aid is the apathy and cynicism of the media and public making the EU believe that we are the weak nation that they want us to be
                        I hate to say this, but looking at the situation in Parlament and our MP's stabbing each other in the back, one counrtrry in the UK whose extremist government wants to leave the UK, then despite what has happened, and is happening, the old saying "cometh the hour, cometh the man" is sitting in the shadows of my mind.:dunno::coffee:

• Like Like x 3
                        • Agree Agree x 3
                          Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
                        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                          Ratings:
                          +89,883
                          Good afternoon yes we have always been our own worst enemies:old:;)

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +4,988
                            Yep ye olde Bojo is our new PM in waiting...I completely agree with your post @ARMANDII...
                            Lets wait and see what transpires..something has got to give ..Can BOJO do it ? I do believe it's down to the rest of the Tories to get their heads out of their artichokes and get on with the job.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +4,988
                              Another little quote from my dear old departed Gran.."this country will stand for bricks getting broken over their heads"...She was't wrong.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                                +17,487
                                Couldn’t have expressed it better myself ARMANDII:)

Already our elected representatives are stabbing Boris in the back. It wouldn’t have mattered who was PM he or she would be constantly thwarted and undermined.
                                For heaven’s sake, let’s give Boris a chance to do the best for us:)

• Like Like x 6
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.