1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Broad Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ewal, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone please tell me when to plant broad beans for over wintering?

E.W.

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    ewal, if your winters are not too cold or wet you can sow early Longpod varieties in late Autumn.
    If you're lucky they will mature before the Spring invasion of blackfly that will surely get Spring grown varieties.
    For early crops if your Winter is bad sow Longpod under glass in Spring and be one step ahead.
    (PM for a tip on seed harvest)
    ;)

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    You will gain about 2 weeks by planting in mid autumn mind with 'climate change' anything may happen. I shove mine in early spring 20cm apart [8"] not a lot of difference. No fertilizer just old farmyard [muck]or home grown compost, and I nearly always have a good crop. Many years ago I bought a big bag of what looked like growmore from a farming supplier, big mistake, it was for grass and I had the tallest veg in the uk I did have a few flowers at the top and some beans the leeks were something else.

4. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Paladin & Hans for your prompt replies.
    I think it was in the late 60s I last set broad beans to over winter, it was mild & wet & by the spring they were 6in tall, then we had a late frost which chopped them off.
    This time I shall cover them with a polythene covered frame when frost threatens.
    E.W.

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Hi Ewal, When you can't see the other person one can quite wrongly imagine them to be standing there with a brand new spade and a gardening book and verrrry young not having done any gardening at all. go to see us older folk seeking a bit of advice now and again. Hope you have a good crop.

6. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Hans, the memory does tend to go a bit as we get older.
    I found this discussion group by accident while looking for the BBC gardening program. Last Thursday I picked 1lb 9oz of runner beans & my wife suggested I send a photo to the BBC, but I was unable to find it but instead I found this site which I find very interesting.
    E.W.

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Welcome to GC, ewal. Great to have you on board!

8. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Much better on this site ewal - just keep logging in and you'll see why!

[​IMG]

9. ewal

ewal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the kind comments.I set the beans last Thursday.My land is clay, in fact there is a brick yard only 2 fields away & they've just bought the field next to me.The beans should be OK as there is slope of 1 in 10 where I've set them, so good drainage.

E.W.

10. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Hope you get a better crop than I did this year - enough for one serving from fifteen plants!!!

11. weskel

weskel Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone help me. i have potted my broad beans and they have started to grow what do i do now they are about 7inchs tall.

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi Weskel, [​IMG] Welcome [​IMG]
    I have lots of questions for you now.
    What kind of broad bean are you growing & are you growing them outside? The other thing is, are they going to stay in pots all the time or will you be planting into a bed or lottie soon? If they are to stay in pots, what size pots are they in now? Another thing to consider if they are to stay in pots is, how sheltered will the actual pots be if we get some hard frosts? I always grew Aquadulce & found them to withstand frozen ground, but not sure about in pots. I sure someone who has grown in containers will be able to say. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] If on the other hand you are going to plant out & they have been outside all the time, then get them in the ground as soon as possible, but wait if a frost is forcast until it has passed then plant out. [​IMG]
    Hope that helps.

13. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hmm
    i planted some b/beans early october . as recommended on the packet......theyre now flowering, although only 12" tall, so i ve been using tops as veg and i expect rest will end up in the soup pot ,,,,,, along with carrot sown August....... now 2" long and rather ,, well small
    i think they were sutton
    i ve now sown broad bean acalduce [something like that] and also field beans for green manuring