1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Brown rot on tomatoes: ID please?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Green Knees, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Green Knees

Green Knees Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi
    Can anyone identify this problem on my toms? They were grown in a yard sans much sunlight, so they took a while to reach a size.
    By late Sept. the bushes were full of green toms with one or two bushes showing signs of odd toms ripening, but some toms throughout were showing this brown rot tree skin condition.

Once they develop this condition it gradually envelopes the whole 'fruit'.

Thinking it was extreme cold in the small hrs that was causing thid, I cut all my toms off and brought them inside to ripen on the window sill.

But I'm still binning toms due to this issue.

Is this 'old age'? Can anyone id it, thanks.

IMG_20191006_131101.jpg

IMG_20191006_131145.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,050
    Looks like blight to me. Often happens this late in the season.

What do the plants look like?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Green Knees

Green Knees Gardener

Ratings:
      +42
      We'll they were going downhill.

I'd grown the plants in the open, but when the temp started to go below 14c in the day, I put them under plastic sheet to keep them warm.

They didn't like it... with the edges and ends of leaves going black and dried out.

Just looked blight up and yes, I concur. I had searched tomato problems/diseases a few times but I never found anything that looked like my issue.

Anyway, many thanks

• Friendly Friendly x 2