1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Brugmansia 2014

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, May 4, 2014.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I temporily moved a lot of the plants out of my garden room today, where they are very cramped (but warm). This allowed me to get at them and water and feed them. I had some nice surprises.

2014_05040003.JPG
    B. sanguinea. I hadn't realised this was in flower. But its all rather strange. I would normally expect it to flower in the autumn and over the winter, rather than now. Also the flowers are only two thirds of the usual size and they are a different colour too. Normally they have the standard sanguinea deep red end to the trumpet.

2014_05040004.JPG
    'Hurstwood Elinor'. I had no idea this was in flower.

2014_05040007.JPG
    I wish I knew the name of this. It was the first Brug I ever bought, but sold with no name. Its a real good do'er and I counted over 30 flower buds spread over the 4 plants (original and three cuttings) shown here.

• Like Like x 6
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      Mine is in bud too Peter. It's outdoors and enjoying the cool weather. I hope that mine keeps its true colour.

• Like Like x 1
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        Excellent LongK. I have never had B. sanguinea flower at this time of the year before - it must depend very much on how it was overwintered.

I am still surprised at the different colour, but I have a theory (based on a bit of observation) that if it is cold or the light levels are low some flower colours can be paler. But I haven't heard this mentioned elsewhere.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Mine didn't flower last year as it spent all winter outdoors over 2012/13, but here's a photo of it in July 2012...............
        [​IMG]

So maybe temperature and light play a part in it. We'll find out soon when mine blooms.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        LongK - Yes, that's what mine has always looked like - so I will be interested in how your's turns out.

Mine flowered over the winter a little, with a good red colour. However those flower buds might have been started in the warmer autumn previously. The current yellow flower buds probably started in the middle of winter, when the temperatures would have been lower ... 10C min.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +50,918
        Peter, yours are doing really well. Could your mystery be the 'Charles Grimaldi' that I have and was identified by Wayne a few years ago? Mine was bought from Aldi as a B Sanguinea but you can see what I got ...

Brugmansia mystery Sep; 11.JPG

It is very headily scented in the evenings.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,239
          How long do seed grown Brugmansia take to flower ?, I have some that I sowed earlier this year, they are now about 12'' high & looking very healthy.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Mine flowered first year, about 8' tall by then, and kept in conservatory, potted on very regularly, and fed on equivalent of Speedy Obese Diet :)

You might then want to take long-cuttings, above the "Y", so that next year they will flower a bit lower down, and you won't have to over winter such a monster plant (if you cut it down, below the Y, it will have to grow back and form a Y before flowering; cuttings above-the-Y will flower without having to make the Y)

• Like Like x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,015
            Victoria - Hi and thanks for the info. I have Googled 'Charles Grimaldi' and mine certainly look like the pictures on the internet. I am always a bit wary of identifying a plant when there are probably a lot of named cultivars that look the same. But I think I will label them as such - after all no one is going to be able to say I am wrong. :snork:

Well done Jazz. As Christen said, with luck they should flower this year in the autumn. I grew a lot from seed about 3 years ago and about 80% flowered in the first year, outside. One or two that didn't flower had been snapped in two by some very strong winds - so the non flowering was not really their fault.

Its amazing how fast they grow in the first year, and they will have stems over an inch in diameter. As Christen said, they are very greedy feeders - which is not surprising when they grow to that size in one year. Curiously, I have found that cuttings never grow as fast as seedlings. But that's probably a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
              Ratings:
              +326
              Good to see the Brug thread up...may it be a long one.
              Certainly looks like Charles Grimaldi, does it have a soapy lemon fragrance.

I currently have good old yellow Aurea in flower, and Grand Marnier in flower, as well as the Arboreas. Plenty of buds coming due to the exception (wet) but mild winter. Happy days ahead!!

Chat soon
              Wayne

• Like Like x 2
              • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,015
                Nice to see you back Wayne - I am sure you will have lots to show us.

I have just been out to sample the fragrence of my yellow brug - as you know its strongest in the evening. I was not really sure what a soapy fragrance would be like, but having sampled it - yes it could be described as soapy. So many thanks, to you and Victoria, for the identification.

• Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
                Ratings:
                +326
                HPIM6415.jpg Good to be back. I will be happy to share anything that blooms.
                I come back from 2 weeks away (to rain) and this weekend my Yellow Aurea bloomed. What a welcome sight! Here she is.

Wayne

• Like Like x 7
                • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,998
                  Hi all
                  has none of you missed me ;)?

I`ve been very busy by moving my garden around , and got punished by the last frost
                  this is the suaveolens from seeds that Kristen gave 3 years ago , the frost burned all leaves but the plant still looking good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

overall that`s not the first brugs as the sanguinea has never stopped to flowering sinse last October

[​IMG]

plus many got many new coldie in germination ....(wayne all your fault)

[​IMG]

ps a special thanks to Alan as well , your seeds are great

• Like Like x 5
                  • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,015
                    Hi Sal - I did notice that you didn't seem to be about. I thought you were waiting for the warm weather - like my plants. :snork:

I am impressed that your suaveolens has flowered so early.

I assume you have had some cold group seeds from Alan. It will be fascinating to know how they turn out. With luck you might get a range. Do keep us in informed - though I appreciate it will be a while yet.

• Like Like x 1
                    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,998
                      Hi Peters , I meet Alan thanks to Wayne and then been luck enough to have some seeds from a friend , I do have about 20 new variety of (coldy) brugs , but most of them still only seedlings ....
                      differently from the normal brugs , the seedling should get in flowers in the first year (been told)
                      so finger crossed for a great summer and hope that

• Like Like x 2