Brugmansias

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Wayne, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    In simplistic terms Datura flowers point upwards, Brugmansia hang down. But the two names are often, wrongly, used interchangeably ... so The Range might have them incorrectly labelled.

The Daturas I have seen have been white, or white and purple. The Brugs have been white, or various shades of Yellow/Gold/Orange etc.

The Daturas I have grown have been small plants, whereas the Brugs have been decent sized bushes, but I expect that isn't the Rule per se.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    Certainly not as big as Brugs, but they can get quite large. D.metel gets wider, D.wrightii is more upright in my experience.
    Datura are easily bloomed in a single season and viable to grow as annuals.

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +53,588
    I agree with what Kirsten is saying above, and I mentioned previously that Brugmansias are called Angel's Trumpets because they face down and Daturas are called Devil's Trumpets because they face upwards.

My D metel has never got large, never even up to a meter. A few days ago started some seeds of the same my Sis sent me from Florida (a double trumpet one) but nothing showing yet. I live in hope as they are a difficult plant to find here.

Datura are also a 'weed/wildflower' here in riverbeds. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
      +122
      Well i popped back into the Range today and they had what they called Datura Angels Trumpet.They had yellow very frilly flowers which are held up so I brought one. Did not realise though that they are only classed as annuals and they do not grow very tall. So will have to try and get a brugsmania.:)

• Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
      Ratings:
      +326
      I have Golden Queen seedlings( tiny) possibly what Dorothy has? Any chance of a picture?

Wayne

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Priceless! Well you are on a 50:50 bet then :) Never seen a Yellow Datura ... I Googled images for "Yellow Datura" and nearly all of them are Brugs (Big Shrubs, Flowers hanging down). There were a few Datura (smaller plants, flowers pointing up) but the most yellow one I could find was what I would call "cream" ... so maybe you have a Brug ... or maybe not :)

• Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
      +122
      Here you go image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Googled that too just now. The pictures look "Cream with yellow highlights" - do you think that's accurate Wayne, or would you call it properly Golden Yellow? EDIT sorry, crossed with your post Wayne. Your photo does look a lot more yellow that the ones I Googled.

I grew Datura metel (the one that Victoria mentioned) last year, and nice as it was it didnt' fit my colour schemes being White-throat and purple-outer ... but I'd definitely be up for a yellow one :)

JWK kindly sent me some spare "Datura Golden Yellow" seeds that he had bought. This is what it turned out like!

[​IMG]

dunno if that was a mixup though, JWK did you get some yellow ones come up?

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +53,588
        Hmmm, that's almost a contradiction in my mind ... 'Datura Angels Trumpets' ... :what: My D metel had frilly purple and white flowers and they have never lived into their third year. My oldest Brugmansia is eight years old and my tallest two-year old is over two meters tall. I have seen them over four meters tall and wouldn't even venture a guess as to how old they are.

Mentioning the perhaps contradiction, I have seen Mandevillas still called Dipladenas and I actually have a label for a plant that says Dimorphoteca/Osterspermum .. but who am I to question such things ... :scratch: :spinning:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +47,863

Yes I did get some Yellow ones, so I must have mixed them up when sending them to you - sorry! :redface:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +47,863
        Is that the one you've pictured above Dorothy ? It's a good find. I've got a store near me and will have to pop in and see, can you remember how much they were please?

• Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
        +122
        Hi they were £7.99 each. The white ones were the same price as well :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,668
          Wasn't a problem, just wondered if you had been sent the wrong seed.

I'll go in search of some Yellow seed next year as I think it will look nice if I put some shorter Daturas amongst the Brugs

• Dorothy

Dorothy Gardener

Ratings:
          +122
          Hi been round the garden centres today and could not find any Brugs, so went on ebay and have just won Brugsmansia "Big" which is white turning to Apricot colour and Brugs "Gold Flame" which is yellow.They are 15" size stems.Got them from the lady Wayne mentioned earlier, Pampass.Should arrive on Wednesday:dancy::)

• Like Like x 1
          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,515
            That's who I got mine from, you won't be disappointed...good service and plenty of info:blue thumb: