1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Budding/Grafting your roses. Share your experiences.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Mike Allen, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    We read of gardeners trying their hand with rose cuttings. So have you tried budding/grafting?

2. DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,860
    I use to just bury a few pruning cut offs and had some success and still do it to this day and I get the odd one that grows some roots, none have actually survived here but I had several at the previous home..Maybe the soil was suited or just being in the right place at the right time..Hey we made it somehow to being humans and came from where??,,well most of us.. @Mike Allen ...haha...

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,374
      Never tried Mike, I just pop cuttings into a pot and tuck them away in a sheltered spot and ...forget about them until the following year. So far that's always worked , had two 'cuttings' that bloomed last year.:yahoo:.
      Just keeping everything crossed that I have the same success with all the cuttings that I took from some of my parents roses last year.:fingers crossed::fingers crossed::fingers crossed::fingers crossed::fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,673
        I tried grafting last year, I got 2 suckers growing from my hybrid teas so I potted them up to grow some roots and they did. So i grafted them and one of them took, grew one stem and flowered.
        Never tried cuttings because I always thought that they grow better grafted.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1