Buddleia Buzz

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by cindy, Jul 9, 2019.

1. cindy

cindy Gardener

Ratings:
    +143
    Mine is 2 years old and has already had a good amount of blooms and I have religiously dead headed. However lots of the leaves are now going yellow so I'm guessing it needs food?? What should I give it?

2. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Gardener

Ratings:
    +139
    @cindy Could it be overwatering? Post a photo, always better than a description. :)

3. cindy

cindy Gardener

Ratings:
    +143
    20190710_084514.jpg I doubt it is overwatering as its in a bed with Platycodon(?) balloon flower and Linum which are doing great (so far) and the bed is quite dry. Ive given the Buzz a couple extra waters this year but that's all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Gardener

Ratings:
      +139
      @cindy I just checked my buddleias and they all seem to have this a little more than usual, I think it could be due to all the rain we've had in June. Hard to tell from a photo, but is your soil like mine, clay?

Platycodon grandiflorus, the hoverflies always seem to gather around mine as soon as 2-3 flowers open.

Nick

• cindy

cindy Gardener

Ratings:
      +143
      Im on the south east coast so my soil has quite a lot of clay in places but having said the bed that's its in has been well worked and the soil is quite loose. Im thinking of cutting it right back but that will leave a horrible gap

• Nikolaos

Nikolaos Gardener

Ratings:
      +139
      Probably doesn't need feeding then Cindy, your clayey soil should be fertile enough, especially considering the plant's age. Best to not prune back hard until March, I think. What I would do in your situation is if the problem gets a lot worse, take the thing out and add some coarse grit to the soil, mix it in well. Make some deep holes in your planting hole using a large fork, especially around the bottom. Helps when mine have occasionally struggled in my heavy clay soil. :)

Don't know if you've read these, I found them useful... identification test is worth doing. :smile:

Clay soils / RHS Gardening

Clay soils: plants for / RHS Gardening

Nick

• Useful Useful x 1
      • cindy

cindy Gardener

Ratings:
        +143
        Thanks Nick. :)

• Like Like x 1