1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bugs on lupins

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by wren1, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    • Like Like x 2
    • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
      +53
      Hi everyone,

I'm just back from holiday to find the aphids have finally destroyed my aphids. Although one plant had already been eaten the other two were flowering really well and are now just storks shooting into the air. They are covered head to toe in aphids. Shall I just cut them right down now and hope for them to grow back next year? Or cut them right down and try a garlic spray, considering there will be no flowers anymore so no bees to hurt? Or cut them right down and try an insecticide? They are my best flowers and I don't want to lose them!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +957
        I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her Buckingham Palace's roses. I've heard milk and water works as a natural fungicide for mildew.

• Agree Agree x 1