1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bumper crop of...Moss!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Nov 26, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have never seen the Moss as bad as this Autumn. Every morning I see my driveway and paths are greener than the day before!

I have a tarmac driveway of about 100 yards and roughly 400 yards of pathways (mostly crazy paving, not my choice but here when we moved here). I need to do something, if nothing else just reduce the amount of Moss as the chances of getting rid of all of it is zero.

I have looked on the net and there are various makes of Moss killer. I am hoping to get some recommendations. Obviously I have a lot of area to deal with so a small bottle from the local garden centre isn't what I need. I am also slightly worried as to any effect there might be to the grass adjacent to the driveway/paths and more importantly if any run off might effect my shrubs/herbaceous plants. I have Jeyes Fluid which I believe kills Moss? but not sure that is the right option. Also no idea as to when is the optimum time to deal with the Moss ie now or best to leave it (hope not) until, next Spring. Hope someone can help, thanks.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    We also get problems with moss but it's not too bad so far this year. :fingers crossed:

I've found the best way has been to gently scrape up the worst of it from the tarmac using a spade and using a snow shovel on the paving. This gets rid of the bulk of it. I then use a metal rake on what's left to break it up and go over again with the spade. After that I give a spray with diluted Jeyes - which also helps keep the badgers out as they don't like the smell.

In the flower beds I use a plastic rake to remove the bulk of the moss. The rest is done by hand on nice bright winter days.

My driveway area isn't quite as big as yours (about 250 sq yds) and I did away with my crazy paving area (200 sq yds) and had it repaved with sandstone paving. I now do the paving four times a year with the pressure hose.

It's all a tedious job but I find that it's best to lightly do the driveway each year instead of leaving it longer, as I used to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      There's a safe product called 'Wet and Forget' which a kind GC'er recommended ,I did get some but have yet to use it but the write up looks good:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Silu - I use sulphate of iron diluted in water at the correct rate . This will kill the moss on paths or lawns and green up the lawn ! It will be the active ingredient of all the very expensive Moss-Kill solutions.
        The Iron Sulphate in a garden centre is normally just 10% ferrous sulphate . You need to buy the stuff that is over 90% ferrous sulphate - I got mine from Ebay link below.
        You then need to make sure you get the solution strength correct for a moss kill or lawn feed example below....

Watering can = 9 litres = 12 sq m
        Sulphate of iron as a moss kill = 4 to 5gm / sq m
        Dosage per watering can 45 gm

http://www.nodiggardener.co.uk/2013/02/using-iron-sulphate-to-control-moss.html
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-IRON-SULPHATE-FERROUS-SULPHATE-/121017167897

• Informative Informative x 1
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          This sounds a very good idea Harry S as unsurprisingly I have a bumper crop of Moss in my grass too. Have read the links you provided and Sulphate of Iron won't affect/may even be beneficial to my large number of Rhododendron, Azaleas and Meconopsis, many of which are close to the offending paths and driveway. I was concerned that what I might use would damage my "babies". Off to see if I can source a 25kg or similar bag, locally. Thanks very much Harry. Funnily enough there was a jar labelled of iron Sulphate in the garage when we moved here. Was clueless as to what to use it for so binned it:huh:

• HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Well 1 kg of Iron sulphate will do 200 sq metres at 5gm per metreĀ². I would see if you can buy a 1kg bag - it must be 90% ferrous sulphate ( not the general stuff at 10% ). As usual try a small area first, the moss will go black in about 30 minutes. Then I leave it for about two weeks and rake it off the lawn . I top dress the patches with a 50 50 mix of sharp sand and top soil.

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thanks Harry. I certainly will do a test area 1st but I do have a very large garden of about 1 1/2 acres with roughly 400 yrds of paths, and 200/50 yards of driveway..sigh! I also have a sand arena which is not currently used, that too has now got very mossy, that's 25 mtrs x 120mtrs so thought it best to invest in a large quantity! Visa vie top dressing with sand. To be honest my grass is NOT good but I just have so many other things to do I tend to just cut it and when short the weeds don't show too much! I've had building works done here recently and the builders have left me 6 x 20/25 kg bags of white silica sand which they didn't want to take with them. I tested it with litmus paper (know it's only a rough guide) and it resulted in the silica sand being on the Alkali side but nothing major. Could I use this to top dress my grass?( I can't possibly call it a lawn!).Again if this sand isn't suitable I'd need to get quantities of sand delivered, bank balance hit AGAIN! Having a huge garden is great but.......

• HarryS

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          hmmm just read Iron sulphate may stain concrete and paving slabs , so it may not be suitable for this. It really is great on mossy lawns though.

Now that is a big area ! Read above for path warning though .
          Not sure if silica sand can be used on lawns. If this is just builders sand , I would say no. Possibly one of our gurus may advise.

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,497
          I'm not sure about the sand. Normally the sand they use tends to consolidate and go solid. Whereas sharp sand is what is needed for lawns.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Isn't that the stuff that if you walk through it just after applying it, and then walk across timber decking, you'll leave footprint stains all over it?

• Agree Agree x 1
          • sim209

sim209 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0
            Moss will grow where it is wet and cool so prevention would involve improving drainage and allowing more sunlight to the area. This might not always be possible.

There are 3 ways that I know of to remove the moss, you can manually remove it by brushing (hard work), pressure wash it (could potentially damage the surface), or use chemicals. The best way I think is to use a chemical and the best I know is MMC pro

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,497
            I still remove by hand as we don't use chemicals in the garden :noidea:. I used to rake out the moss from some of the lawns and sell it in bags for people to use in their hanging baskets (all money goes to charity) but it's too physical a job for me nowadays :old: