1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Burns Supper.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by redstar, Jan 15, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    No worries, wear what you like @redstar either with or without the scarf. Do you by any chance grow any Heathers? If you did a little bunch pinned to your top would be very appropriate altho not a lot of use if not flowering! I used to always wear a nice cosy full length tartan skirt to the suppers, perfect as I could wear totally non glam thick socks and comfy shoes underneath the skirt so if we were doing a bit of visiting other houses on foot post everybody having had a few "jars" (drinks)I wasn't frozen to the bone. Enjoy the evening that's the most important.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,593
      Thanks @silu . my heathers are under the snow, not good now. thanks for your suggestions. will see what i can find around, have some time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        6CC7B442-1345-4654-A722-4AC50BA081D0.jpeg

You might need one of these.

:dbgrtmb:

G.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          While I was having a few days golf around the Ayrshire coast , I visited the Burns croft ,his birthplace. This is now the Burns museum. He had a short life dying at 37.
          IMG_8425-Sm.jpg

• Like Like x 5
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :scratch: Did your ears get cold? :dunno:
            [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
            • Like Like x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Ratings:
              +10,593
              Happy Burns Night to you all.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                Ratings:
                +10,593
                Going again this year (2019) To a Robert Burns Birthday Party. this time lucking out as the party is 5 mins from my house. Here is the link of the location. Wedding Venue in Chester County - Receptions, Parties, Anniversaries - Beale Manor

It will be on Feb. 9. Saturday. I will just be getting back from Bahamas for a week.

This organization that hosts it also had a lovely affair outdoors in September, with bag pipe contests and throwing things contest. And several wonderful bands alternately playing. Its nice to get a little Scottish flavor few times a year. Looking forward to Haggis. Found out they use a local farmer to make it for the event.

• Like Like x 1
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  Hope you have a good time @redstar. When I visited my friend in Texas I discovered her American husband was bonkers on all things Scottish and he was very annoyed that you can't buy Haggis in America other than in a tin I believe. Strictly speaking the celebration is called a Burns Supper not birthday party but it really doesn't matter! Remember you have to have some "gravy" with the Haggis. The "gravy" should be a decent blended whisky!..bit of a waste to use a malt on Haggis.The other thing you traditionally have with the Haggis is clapshot ( why does this word always sound so rude:):scratch:) It is a vegetable accompaniment of mashed potatoes and swede with lashings of butter and black pepper. I usually add onions but that's not the traditional recipe but I like onions.
                  Glad to read the pipes were being played OUTSIDE! at the last gathering.I am a fan of the pipes and drums and go to The Braemar Gathering every year mainly for the massed pipes and drums. There are anything up to 15 bands playing, it's some sight. However I absolutely hate when the pipes are played inside. Usually this occurs when tourists are involved:rolleyespink:. Not always as I discovered to my ears' displeasure this New Years Eve. Popped into Tesocs in Perth and they had a band playing inside the store. OMG the noise was deafening and I was as quick as possible getting what I needed. Jeee gods I'd like to know whos idea that was. Not good and judging by the faces on the other shoppers I wasn't the only person who was not impressed!

• Like Like x 1
                    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
                  • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                    Ratings:
                    +10,593
                    Yes, @silu , it is Burns Supper. Went to it in Feb. 2018 also. Can't recall all the foods offered then, besides the Haggis. I know the whisky ran free. they do, do the Haggis ritual, and the pipping of the Haggis. But, at the Supper, the Pipes are played indoors, as the weather in February was very cold here. But, perhaps if memory serves, some tunes were played outside the building before we entered inside. There is also a harpist. and later poems read. There is no tourists involved here but a Scottish organization connect to a church. The Haggis is made in America by a local farmer, I think you have to know people. So your Texas friend has to reach out for some research in the area of a farm etc.

This is the church that takes care of these events. The Octorara Covenanter Church - Celtic Happenings

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                    Ratings:
                    +49,606
                    @redstar - this is a genuine haggis recipe, to you, from a friendly wee Scottish bloke born and bred in Dumfries.........

Ingredients:
                    Set of sheep's heart, lungs and liver (cleaned by a butcher)
                    One beef bung
                    3 cups finely chopped suet
                    One cup medium ground oatmeal
                    Two medium onions, finely chopped
                    One cup beef stock
                    One teaspoon salt
                    ½ teaspoon pepper
                    One teaspoon nutmeg
                    ½ teaspoon mace

Method:
                    Trim off any excess fat and sinew from the sheep's intestine and, if present, discard the windpipe. Place in a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or possibly longer to ensure that they are all tender. Drain and cool.

Some chefs toast the oatmeal in an oven until it is thoroughly dried out (but not browned or burnt!)

Finely chop the meat and combine in a large bowl with the suet, oatmeal, finely chopped onions, beef stock, salt, pepper, nutmeg and mace. Make sure the ingredients are mixed well. Stuff the meat and spices mixture into the beef bung which should be over half full. Then press out the air and tie the open ends tightly with string. Make sure that you leave room for the mixture to expand or else it may burst while cooking. If it looks as though it may do that, prick with a sharp needle to reduce the pressure.

Place in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and immediately reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for three hours. Avoid boiling vigorously to avoid bursting the skin.

Serve hot with "champit tatties and bashit neeps" (mashed/creamed potato and turnip/swede). For added flavour, you can add some nutmeg to the potatoes and allspice to the turnip/swede. Some people like to pour a little whisky over their haggis - Drambuie is even better! Don't go overboard on this or you'll make the haggis cold.

• Like Like x 1
                    • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
                      +428
                      What's a beef bung?

• Like Like x 1
                      • silu

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        Well this in news to me @Fat Controller :). I thought Haggis was traditionally stuffed into a sheep's stomach? while a beef bung is a cow's intestine is it not? I though a beef bung was basically a beef sausage but I am not an expert on Scottish cuisine! You do realise that most people reading this will be put off eating Haggis now that they know what is in it:snorky:. I have found over the years it is really difficult to find good Haggis. Most of the stuff sold in supermarkets is a pale resemblance of what Haggis should taste like. Mind you that goes for most food we buy these days which tastes of not a lot!

• Like Like x 1
                        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                          Ratings:
                          +10,593
                          Any of you seen on Netflix. Lords and Ladles ? really neat cooking show. Features three chefs from the UK, Ireland, Scotland area. They travel to beautiful historic castles/mansions and have to make a whole meal from menus dating back 100 to 200 years. Some truly interesting combinations and ways of using foods. Its also a nice visual of the historic homes, landscaping, gardens, decorations, etc. Some amusing moments.

• Informative Informative x 2
                          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                            Ratings:
                            +49,606
                            It is indeed @silu - I believe it is used because of the different flavour that it adds (most likely from the small amount of fat) to counter the sheep bits. I confess it is not a recipe that I would use for anything really, as I am not a fan of haggis (my opinion always was that it was made purely to sell it to the gullible!)

I worked with for a guy when I was little more than a lad - caterer; he had cafes, tea rooms and did catering for events like weddings, parties and even the local agricultural shows. One of his brothers was a farmer with quite a bit of land, and the other brother was a butcher - - it was locally said that they could get a cow from the field to the table inside a day if they wanted to, although as far as I know they rarely talked. He was the man that introduced me to things like proper scones and proper doughnuts (made with soured milk), carrot and orange soup, and a proper black forest gateau (bear in mind that this was when things like that were still quite posh!) - his Scotch Broth and Steak Pie was to die for.

• silu

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            I know what you mean @Fat Controller BUT the local butcher where my Mum and Dad lived made gorgeous Haggis. It was quite dry. not fatty at all. Have no idea what recipe he used (maybe better not to know what went into the mix!). he also made fabulous beef sausages. I normally will only eat pork ones but his beef links were totally scrummie. Needless to say the butcher retired some time ago. Shop was sold and is now a flaming holiday home like most of the properties are in the village. The village is now dead for about 9 months of the year and heaves for 3 months. Never go near the place now, sad.

• Like Like x 1