1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bush rose recommendations

Discussion in 'Roses' started by clanless, Feb 6, 2022.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    I've been looking for a bush rose for the back garden. After a fair bit of googling - settled on a variety called 'The Lady of Shalott'. They are quite difficult to source and when I could find one to purchase - they are far too expensive - the one I looked at was £21 plus £10 delivery - which goes against the grain when I see other roses going for less than £10 per pot.

Can anyone recommend an alternative bush rose please?

Ta :smile:

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,496
    I have Lady of Shallot ( David Austin ) , if you are still interested in Lady of shallot its best to go bare root direct off DA which are £19.50 + £4 P+P about £24 in total . If you hold fire they do a discount soon before bareroot season ends I think its 15% off ( possibly 10% ) so it bring the total down to around £20 which isn't to bad for such a nice rose .

It is one of my better longer / repeat flowering Austin roses , its fairly healthy but does get black spot now and again and its not very scented but does have some scent . It fills out faster than other austin roses as well

If the Lady is still out of question are you still after a apricot shrub/bush rose ?

Just to make sure you still don't want Lady of shallot of got pictures of mine just to make sure :biggrin:

DSC01280.JPG DSC01281.JPG DSC01284.JPG
    Autumn second main flush
    DSC01461.JPG

• Like Like x 7
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      Thanks Perki :dbgrtmb: - useful information there.

The Lady of Shalott is still on the cards - it has all of the characteristics that I want. Those pic's - doesn't it just look absolutely fabulous :spinning:.

I'll bookmark the DA site to keep an eye on prices. I suspect that I priced up the potted rose - hence the mahoosive delivery price.

• Like Like x 2
      • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +8,496
        Well if you are looking for similar characteristics as Lady of Shalott you need need to be looking for shrub roses not bush roses .

Bush rose are Hybrid teas - floribundas etc it is all a bit confusing really but technically all roses are shrubs, hybrid teas and floribundas can be trained into a shrub shape just to add to the confusion :rolleyespink: . Shrub roses ( david austin roses and other old roses like moss / alba etc ) tend to be more lax arching stems and tend to flower in 1 or 2 flushes . The hybrid teas etc flower more continuously over the summer .

This is where the cost is vastly different you are comparing the cost of Hybrid teas / floribundas which can be had for under a tenner where as shrub roses are usually over £20 .

I hope this helps to narrow down what you are looking for and show the difference between the rose variety's . I did buy my mum a rose ( one of many ) called Arthur bell its a floribunda rose yellow and has a delightful scent and is a good plant , but it never looks like a shrub rose they are more structurally upright plant.

I tend to get DA discount through the post so if yo are interested I'll let you know .

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,565
          @clanless - Cants of Colchester has 'Lady of Shallot' at £19 but I didn't check out the postage. I've bought a number of roses from them in the past and have always been pleased with what I've received. As Perki pointed out 'Lady of Shallot' is a David Austin rose and they always tend to be more expensive than others.

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,623
            Thanks everyone.

I've just ordered 'The Lady of Shallot'. From DA with £3.95 postage. I thought what the heck - if I get something else I will always be wondering whether TLOS would be better.

TLOS is still under plant breeders rights - which explains why they are tricky to get and that there's not much point shopping around for a better deal.

• Like Like x 3
            • CostasK

CostasK Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +22
              I love Lady of Shalott, it is my favourite of the roses I have. I am sure you will like it. It doesn't have a strong scent but it more than makes up for it with the gorgeous blooms which keep coming back & with how vigorous it is for a shrub rose.

• Like Like x 2
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,623
                Bit of a panic there :frown: - the ends of a couple of the rose stems were turning grey - I cut them off.

Pleased to say that it's now starting to sprout :smile: - you never know might get some blooms this year :blue thumb:.

• Like Like x 1
                • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                  Ratings:
                  +7,623
                  This is what the Lady of Shalott looks like now. It's over the danger transplant time and has taken nicely. There is a blurry image of a flower bud if you half close your eyes.

20220601_113429.jpg 20220601_113455.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                  • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                    Ratings:
                    +7,623
                    First blooms.

20220623_134949.jpg 20220623_135002.jpg

• Like Like x 2