1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Butyl Flashing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Oct 4, 2017.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Just a long shot, and a long story short , has anyone used Butyl flashing tapes eg 100mm or 150mm ones ?

If so did you use or know what sort of primer should be used on porous surfaces ?

thanks

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Ricky, what are you trying to accomplish:scratch:. I ask because I had to seal between the base of my Observatory and the concrete base and I had to resort to Hi Tech stuff that you could use in wet and also would "set" in water.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

Basically its the sheet overlaps of a corrugated concrete garage roof which we now know was not ideally fitted many years ago.

Typical mastics/sealers only last a year or so before they crack and leak a little.

Thought about using some typical bitumen flashband but its was suggested using a butyl flashing like the Sika product, which is easier to apply and more flexible.
      However Sika state you must use a butyl primer on porous surfaces, but when asked direct, they said they did supply one, contact the supplying shop or google !

Asked Screwfix and they came back saying they had been told by the makers to use Bostik SV solvent based primer.
      However its datasheet says it uses napta which sounds more like bitumen based to me, which Sika say not to use with its butyl tape ?

I had also been web searching at the few other makes of butly flashing and they state exterior PVA should be used for priming

The Sika butyl tape is the only butyl tape I can buy locally at a reasonable price, but am hesitant to use it as using the wrong primer might mean it fails quickly as I do not know what their adhesive is and the effect the wrong primer will have on it.

Any thoughts, or should I just stick to standard bitumen flashing ...?

cheers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I tried bitumen flashing and ordinary sealer paint but couldn't get it to grip on wet concrete or even set in any wet. When the Observatory was built onto the concrete base it was raining and the sealant the people brought was useless for applying in the wet. This is what I was trying to seal.......

[​IMG]
        [​IMG]

I originally bought brand new Bitumen tape, sealant and roof repair paint not thinking I would have any real problems......it was useless. So I did a bit of research to find sealant that would set in water to fill in the gap and a paint that would go over the sealant in water and set. I found Geocel "The Works" Wet and Dry Sealant
        upload_2017-10-4_22-27-56.jpeg

and the paint I used to go over it to complete the seal was Thompson's Emergency Roof Repair Mastic
        [​IMG]

I had to use enough seal into the gap between the Observatory and concrete base to cover over 30 feet around the base, but the Tin of Thompson's Mastic was more than enough.
        It was/is important that no water seeped into the Observatory from the base as there is a power system and also Telescopic equipment in there so I made sure that what I eventually used would work and last years. So maybe conventional bitumen isn't the way to go, Ricky, you might want to spend a few extra pennies for a good job and one that will last up to ten years before you used the Mastic again to paint over the sealant.:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
          Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi,

Had tried one of those geocells, it lasted a bit longer, but not much.

Could try that mastic, but think it would look very messy over the length of the roof, hence me looking at an even tape.

Assume your observatory revolves around the base ?
          Think I would be tempted to fit some form of cill on the bottom edge of the upper part to help deflect the rain away from the base.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Ricky, no, it's the roof that revolves:heehee:
          [​IMG]

There was a initial gap between the base of the Observatory wall and the concrete base so that water would seep in between and I had to keep the floor of the Observatory completely dry before laying a membrane and 2 inch thick rubber tiled floor[​IMG]
          [​IMG]

Firstly, you shouldn't try just the sealant on it's own but use it in conjunction with the Mastic, i.e: applying the sealant and then "painting" the Mastic over it. I used Masking Tape as a guide and to stop the application of the Mastic becoming messy. Using both guarantees a double barrier and the Mastic will give you that near 10 year guarantee, plus all you have to do is repaint over it when needed and it also protects the sealant giving it a virtually infinite life.:thumbsup::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2