1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

cactus dish garden ?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Samakawy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Samakawy

Samakawy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

i am growing cactus for some time now, and i started my cactus dish garden recently with some of my small ones. i used a glass bowl ( no drain holes) but put some stones and gravel in the bottom to act like a drain.
    i put the bowl in my office ( temp 22 C, florescent light 16 hrs, no sunlight ) )

does any of you have experience with this type of cactus dish gardens ? i need some tips on watering and fertilizing. my current practice is to spary a 100 ml of water every 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,039
    Hi, I dont have experience with growing cacti in this way so bear with me.
    Three points.:)

Firstly I doubt very much that the plants will get the required light for normal growth.

You Never Ever grow cactus and succulents without drainage.

Lastly, you have plants of very varying growth rates in the same bowl.

Its the kind of setup you might buy in a garden centre, looks good for a while but I doubt it has any chance of looking good long term.

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    The display looks very pretty, maybe it will be possible to just move the position of the plants according to growht rate once you put them in a bigger container. But, are you saying that they don't get natural light?