1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Calling all Herb experts!

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by greencuisinequeen, Apr 22, 2011.

1. greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    After spending time in Morocco and living off mint tea I am after the mint that was used which is lighter in colour and sweeter than the english garden mint, have looked in all garden centers not only for plants but packet seeds to no avail :cry3:

Does anyone know where I could get any from and please don't reply Morocco as it's a long way to go for a bit of greenery or a cuppa! Could it even be under a specific name? :dunno:

Happy Easter Days
    GCQ
    :thumbsup:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,510
    When I learnt my Morrocan cooking we were told that their mint tea was a mixture of green tea and ordinary mint - with lots of sugar. In some regions they use peppermint instead of mint. :thumbsup:

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi GCQ, you need the particular mint Mentha spicata var. crispa 'Moroccan' & the green tea called gunpowder (very high in caffeine) & lots of sugar & boiling water.... I know you can buy the mint HERE so probably can elsewhere too... I buy my tea from HERE
    :thumbsup: Have fun..

4. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    Marley Farley you absolute cracker you :love30: That is the very one and am off to puuuurchase some when done here. I knew about the gunpowder tea and all the rest (even have the pot and tea glasses :D) just needed the mint to go with it so thanks again am over the moon (doesn't take a lot these days :rolleyespink:)

Happy Days
    GCQ
    :thumbsup:

5. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    I wasn't able to purchase just one pkt on the site but a stroke of "meant to be" happened yesterday when at Waddesdon Mannor (Bucks) plant centre and look what Ma Man spotted :D so of course just had to bring home with us

Good times
    GCQ
    :dbgrtmb:

Attached Files:

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hey GCQ I am so pleased to have helped.. Just let that get established before you start picking.. If you like it that much then get some more plants.. You can also root cuttings really easy in water as well... Happy tea drinking then.... :D:thumbsup:

7. encapsulated-sapling

encapsulated-sapling Apprentice Gardener

student-part time self employed.
    Ratings:
    +1
    i also have that mint, well i say i have that plant, its not just 1 i have 4 :)
    i recognise the plant label do you live in surrey?

8. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    4 Plants eh, now you're just showing off E-S lol and wished I did live in Surrey, would be popping in for tea! I live in Bucks for my sins!

Didn't know where best to ask this question and think it is a herb :scratch:but Does anyone know about Cat Mint? I have sown some of those seeds too for my 2 cats but again with not knowing much about it is there any tips on how to get the best results?

Attached Files:

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi GCQ there is growing info here my cat loved the stuff.. I used to cut & dry some & stuff it into a sock & just tie the end.. His favourite toys..!!! :sunny:

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      My wife like cats and 'befriended' a couple of locals. One completely ignored our catmint but the other one was completely besotted with it, and despite planting it at high level in an old rainwater hopper it would find a way to get up there and roll obsessively in it until it tumbled down.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      It has been smoked as a legal high, not tried it yet, but there is still time:hapfeet:

Going completely off topic, as I tend to do:DOH:

Did you know that it is illegal to posess opium poppies ? All those lovely purple flowers that spring up every year could land you in trouble with the old bill.

Don't smoke the ones with the red petals unless you like migraine headaches & being physically sick.

• Like Like x 1
      • greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
        +42

Ahh The Ziggmyster I:love30:to your humour it cracks me up! I really am growing this mint for my 2 boys and had/have no idea about using it for anything else. although I could just see them rolling a joint with a bit of Bob Marley playing in the background. My younger one loves it and completely demolished a plant belonging to someone I used to share a house with some yrs ago.
        As for poppies I did know it's illegal to posses them, LMAO when I visited my Aunts a few yrs ago and she had 2 big clumps of them growing happily in her front garden on a busy road in Leighton Buzzard :D bless her she had no idea about the law though when I pointed it out she laughed and said she loved the colours! just a little confused by you mentioning them
        :heehee:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Better than Bob Hope for them I suppose.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Nice one:D Sorry, its just the way my mind wanders from one thing to another.

My young labourer used to call me the Ziggmyster too:thumbsup: