1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Camelia in a Pot...

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Sally Parker, May 17, 2018.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,270
    @Sally Parker Take a step back and relax gardening is supposed to be fun not stressful.
    Don't worry too much about feeding, New plants in the ground need watering in a hot dry spell, but generally if they are not wilting they don't need watering. Plants in pots generally don't need watering everyday, you will soon get a feel for this.
    Ammonium sulphate won't help with yellowing leaves caused by soil acidity levels, you need magnesium sulphate for that.
    As for the camellia stand it out of full sun especially early in the morning and it will be fine. I wouldn't worry about covering it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      I was about to say the same thing Nigel....viz., relax, take it easy and enjoy your garden Sally and not worry about feeding too much and what you may do come the winter.:)

Sally, sooo many plants! Tell me about it. I buy online, from nurseries etc way too often. I have lovely plants in 3, 5 or even bigger pots waiting for homes. I know I want them and, eventually, they will be planted out. Indeed, an "addiction" but better than smoking, drugs or alcohol!! :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Thanks for the reply NigelJ,

Yes I know gardening should be fun, so I will try to relax a bit! :)

I think I will just really try to get some ericaceous compost instead of the Sulphate of Ammonia now. Shame to waste it though, but I don't think I even want to use it in the garden after reading this! sulfate of ammonia - worth having? - Page 2

I was actually wondering about in the winter, whether the camellia should be covered, if we get lots of snow again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Sally,
          Camellias are a lot hardier than supposed. Its the flowers that are most vulnerable......they get frosted but its when the sun thaws them out too quickly that they suffer; hence why they need to be placed out of morning sun.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Sally Parker, I have a friend who has a red one and he's showed me a pic of his and it's a large one with loads of flowers...total stunner.

Regarding @Verdun advice and others regarding the ericaceous to kick start it off is the best but if you can't stretch no further for regards of more expense I just hope it does fight good for you but for good sound advice Verdun knows his stuff with gardening and I can never fault is advice :)

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2018
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              If it's out doors and it's a bad winter it needs covering...like yourself how this winter went I was in a panic state with mine and just doing this alone kept mine healthy :heehee:

20180226_174602.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
              • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                +8,083
                I grow many Camellias, in flowerbeds not pots admittedly. All survived the winter of 2010/11 when we were down around the -18 oC mark (see avatar :yikes:) They have also survived deer attacks when some have been completely defoliated. They are a tough as old boots despite looking exotic, it's the flowers which are prone to being damaged by frost as verdun has already said. However, my late Father had little success growing them as he lived on the coast and the Camellias he tried growing took exception to salty air and sea breezes! Where he lived the temperatures rarely went below zero and hardly ever a frost, gorgeous soil yet unhappy Camellias.
                Over the many years I have gardened I am now convinced that there is much more damage done to plants from cold wind than just plain cold. Some plants in my garden have been damaged by the beast from the east this spring yet were not bothered with the extreme cold of 2010/11,

• Like Like x 3
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  A lot of camellia breeding has taken place over the years in Cornwall....the Williamsii types .....to cope better with our climate.
                  Huge camellias grow down here in a county where the sea is never too far away. Camellia hedges too are pretty common.
                  Silu,,could it be that your dad's failure to grow camellias was more to do with sandy soil, albeit "gorgeous soil" that drained too quickly? :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                    Ratings:
                    +5,404
                    I thought you said the soil there was sandy :scratch:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Verdun

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Yep, so 'tis......but a sandy loam Tetters.
                      Most of Cornwall away from the coast though is acidic hence the azaleas, rhododendrons, magnolias, etc filling the landscape :)

• Like Like x 1
                      • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                        +8,083
                        No Verdun I don't think so, the soil in the East Neuk of Fife is renowned for being really good. His soil was quite sandy but almost black, his Roses and Dahias were fantastic. Definitely the wind. He had a couple sheltered from the prevailing wind by a high stone wall. They were ok but the others had their foliage burnt usually. The wind that can blow off the coast is quite something! Many a time I used to walk my dog along the beautiful beach, but would walk backwards into the prevailing wind as it was too sore on my face with the sand blowing to walk into the wind. The dog didn't seem to mind tho! The Scots have an expression, "blowing a hoolie." ie not a gentle breeze:).

• Like Like x 1
                        • Verdun

Ratings:
                          +17,487
                          Ok Silu :) .....mind you it can blow pretty fiercely down here too but prob much warmer. Ive been in a red hot sandstorm on an Australian beach......think I'm content with mild south westerlies down here :snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
                            +145
                            Just wondering @Gail_68 and @silu are the new leaves on a camellia supposed to come out a pale greenish yellow colour and then turn dark green?? Because that's what mine is doing and I've got a feeling it's not right. :frown:

If it's not right, then do you think it's because I haven't got it in erracious (Not sure if spelt correctly?) soil yet??

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Verdun

Ratings:
                              +17,487
                              Yes Sally....new foliage is like that. Depending on variety new growth can also be coppery orange. Looks nice though, doesnt it?

If the older foliage is a nice, solid dark green then all is well. If traces of yellowing occurs you can spray with epsom salts. Sequestered iron too if necessary.

Make sure your camellia doesnt dry out over the summer esp in July and August....this is when the flower buds form to produce next season's flowers. If the plants dry out then it is probable that those flower buds will abort :)

• Like Like x 2
                              • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
                                +145
                                Oh, that's great, thanks Verdun! :)

Yes the leaves are also a coppery orange colour (Sort of) as well and they do look nice, now I know it's natural and there's nothing wrong with the plant! :smile: The older leaves are very dark green, that's why I was worried about the new growth being so pale.

Yes, I will make sure she doesn't dry out later on in the summer. I don't want to jeopardise those lovely red flowers coming out!! :spinning:

• Like Like x 1