1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Campanula?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Nikolaos, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Does anyone know what these little purple flowers are, perhaps a Campanula? I have it growing in my very narrow dry border. They were sort of dangling over the edge and had to be flopped over when mowing the lawn, which is why they look a bit odd. Is there a way to get it to produce more flowers, and would it be better off somewhere else?

Thanks,

Nick

DSCN0579.JPG DSCN0578.JPG

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Yes a campanula. Looks like Birch Hybrid Nikolaos ...I grow it here. :) Is it evergreen with you?
    You can divide it, cut pieces off to plant elsewhere or curtail its spread and help it to flower more.
    Here it has been flowering since early June but flowering tends to diminish around mid summer so I shear it back and it starts to flower again in a few weeks and well into autumn. This also produces lush new foliage before re flowering :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,289
      @Verdun Yep, that certainly looks like it. Frankly I haven't payed much attention to it but always assumed it was deciduous. I know next to nothing about these. I have some red tulips in the same area of the border which seem to finish flowering just before it goes into flower and am wondering if this is what's producing the elongated, floppy stems on mine. How exactly can I get it to flower more? When you shear it back do you take it right down to the ground? Thanks for the reply and advice on division!

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes Nikalaos, cut it hard back. Not to worry it will respond quickly. This cutting back will, in itself, produce more flowers. Try it and see for yourself :)
      I also feel this is a group of plants that benefits from not feeding......feeding produces more lush foliage at the expense of flowers I think :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,289
        @Verdun Right, I shall have to try that! Would love to see it produce more flowers. Fits in perfectly with the cool colour scheme of my back garden. Nothing in that little dry border ever gets fed so it should do well! Many thanks, mate. :smile:

• Like Like x 1