1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Can anyone ID this exotic-looking plant?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Clare G, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Malus Aforethought

Malus Aforethought Gardener

Analyst
    Ratings:
    +419
    I’ve 6 or 7 Snow Towers in the greenhouse and undercover outside for their second winter, and they seem to have survived ok up here, and one of the few things needing watering/feeding over the winter. It seemed like a good idea/challenge to grow this supposed 15ft triffid from seed(surprisingly successful though), and crunch time is fast approaching as to what to do with them.

Seems from your experiences that they might do ok keeping them in the pots, as the other option I realistically have is to dig up round holes in the lawn and let them loose to do their thing. If they get anywhere near their supposed height this year, there’s no way they’ll overwinter again in the greenhouse. I want to give them a chance to reach flower, but appreciate it’s a case of ambition over reality given the less than favourable summers we have in NE Scotland compared to you guys down south. They really are otherworldly though and well worth the effort of bringing on, so far anyway. Will leave crunch time till later, they’re just fine just now giving me a friendly prickle navigating past them.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,337
      My Echium pininana have been outside since I moved the seedlings last summer, they are now all over 8ft tall. Down here they can even be a bit of a problem self seeding happily.
      The RHS give the leaf length as up to 7cm, I think they are out by a factor of 10.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,031
        I've got a couple of self sown E pininana which have made it up till now this winter, last year I had some second year ones killed by the combination of rain and frost.

Minus 5 seems to be the turning point regarding survival or not.

I've grown them in pots often, they don't get anything like as tall but are still worth growing, of course they die after flowering.
        I've got a few E wildpretii coming along in pots, its not quite as hardy pininana so they will stay potted.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,031
          Echiums, I find, are one of those plants that really do show you if they are happy.
          A few years ago I collected some seeds of our wild Echium vulgare, they were growing in shingle at Dungeness and about 12 to 18 tall.
          In my garden they were rampant and soon got out of hand over 3ft tall.

• Like Like x 1