1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I plant these potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ismeval, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ismeval

ismeval Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I always buy Vivaldi potatoes from Sainsburys, mainly because they are lower carb than most but also for the flavour. I wondered if I can keep some of these and plant them or do I have to buy 'special seeded' ones ? I have got a few with little greenish/purple shoots on them . I have a greenhouse to start them off in until weather warms up as I am in North East UK.

I bought special seed pots last year and grew in two potato sacks and we really enjoyed them - but I can't seem to find anywhere for Vivaldi potatoes other than in a job lot sort of thing with one or two other ones which I don't want .....

Val

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Val,

You run the risk of disease if you plant shop bought ones, and there are quite a few things that can get spuds.

Seed potatoes are grown in conditions where its unlikely aphids will transmit diseases to them so are a safer bet.

Kristen will be on later, he'll know where to get your variety :)

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've grown many good crops of potatoes over the years, and never bought a single seedy. I've always used ordinary 'eating' ones from the shop, that have chitted themselves (developed shoots).

Some supermarkets spray the spuds or doing something to them to make them store better, those ones won't grow, but if they are developing shoots they should be fine.

The practice is generally frowned upon though because only seed potatoes are certified disease free.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Hmmm ... not on this occasion. Getting late to be buying seed potatoes ... I would recommend JBA but they are out of stock - although they will have others (and their website says that Charlotte beat Vivaldi in a Which? test, so you might try them as a fall back - FWIW they are what I grow :thumb: )

http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/second-early/vivaldi-p349.html

"The practice is generally frowned upon though because only seed potatoes are certified disease free."

Some risk of disease of course (Blight can remain in a tuber from an infected plant without causing the tuber to go to mush, and then grow on in the plant and infect the rest). The main issue with that is that IF it happens YOU will be the source of blight in your area as it spreads ... ermmm .... like the plague. You also then have the hassle of eradicating Blight from your plot (which is avoidable by trying not to get it in the first place :) )

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    The trouble is the could pick up disease from where they where grown which could be cyprus or Egypt or some other far flung place.

Anyway, here are two links to Vivaldi seed potatoes, second one is the cheapest/smallest quantity.

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Seed+Potatoes/Vivaldi+Potato+220254.htm?sku=220254

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/search/vivaldi

Regards

Steve...:)

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hello Ismeval. As has been said there is a slight risk of importing disease if you grow from shop bought potatoes rather than certified disease free potaoes.
    BUT, I see you are planning to grow your potatoes in containers - so no risk of contaminating your ground. You will be perfectly safe to grow shop boughts in containers - I've done it many times.
    Just don't put the compost they were grown in anywhere in your garden where you plan to grow potatoes or tomatoes or related plants. The compost will be fine for top dressing in the flower garden.

T&M have a special offer of small bags of seed potatoes at the moment, including Vivaldi.
    I got mine delivered today, 6 varieties - Vivaldi, Orla, Swift , Rocket, Casablanca, Lady Christl - good selection I think at £1.37 per variety. I'm looking forward to getting them into my tattie buckets.

Good luck with your potatoes - whichever way you decide to grow them.

7. ismeval

ismeval Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated .... I have found some second earlies vivaldi at plantsbypost.com for £1.99 for 12 .... for March delivery ...

But I am going to have a go myself as well then I can compare them .... I forget which ones I grew last year as it was my first effort - but they were very easy to grow and I was told to start them off at the bottom of the potato sack on a 'bed' of shredded paper ... I was surprised at how many I got but enjoyed them .....

Thanks everyone .... Val