1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

can you identify this shrub please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by kevin reid, May 24, 2015.

1. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    What about this ...this looked exactly the same when I saw it in a garden centre ... but like I said I have never seem berries on it

Attached Files:

2. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    It's definatetly not a snowberry with the white berries .... although the bush looks the same it's never ever ever had white berries

3. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    But again you might be right ... can anyone explain why I have never seen any berries on it ....ever in 10 years

4. Jay95

Jay95 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Kevin,

I had just spent five minutes reading this thread before I realised I had a similar looking plant in my garden. The plant is flowering and only now beginning to produce berries. Take a look at the pictures it has both flowers and fruit

I'm not sure why your plant doesn't produce any berries

20150713_204858.jpg 20150713_204846.jpg 20150713_204913.jpg

5. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Jay that really does look similar . You seem to have more of a cluster of flowers at the end ...but I would say that is it ...do you know it's name ? .. plus I am thinking as Aug Sept when mine is covered in bees and that it gets cut back it might not have berries ...but then again a guy at a garden centre said that as it's so old 20 plus years it may be a variation of a bush like yours ..

6. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,600
    I agree with Silver surfer it's a Snowberry. :) I had one in my garden many years ago.

If you prune the shrub back Kevin it won't produce berries.

7. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,269
    Eeeck! This thread is getting very confusing!!!!

Kevin your new pics posted today at 7.15pm and 7.19p.m. are superb...really really sharp and very clear.
    BUT if I am reading this thread correctly you took these pics in Wales....
    "I found it growing huge in Wales next to a stream in the 3 loggerheads pub ... again covered in bees"
    THIS shrub is definitely a Symphoricarpos sp..you can clearly see the baby berries.
    See example below at this link.

http://www.aphotoflora.com/images/c...albus_snowberry_flower_side_view_04-09-06.jpg

HOWEVER, this is DEFINITELY not the same shrub as you have posted in the very beginning of this thread...on 24th May.
    I still believe that one is a shrubby honeysuckle.

Please can you go back to your old garden and ask if you may take a close up pics of the flowers on your old shrub..not a look alike shrub from Wales!

8. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Yes of course ...sorry about that post I got confused thinking it was the last post when really it was thread 1 ... my old age I think lol .... again you are right ..I took that pic today in Wales as it is the same bush as in my garden ..my old garden at home ... .

9. Silver surfer

Ratings:
    +3,269

NO.... IT IS NOT THE SAME AS YOUR BUSH IN YOUR OLD GARDEN!!!! IT IS DIFFERENT!!!!
    The shape of the flowers are different.

I beg you....to please take clear pics of the flowers on YOUR OLD SHRUB in your old garden.

10. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    I have just checked both sets of photos ..the may ones in my old garden and the ones I took today ... the bush is exactly the same ,I knew as soon as I saw it ....however you can clearly see on the may photo ..the one in my old house that there is only flowers and no berries attached to the flower ...yet in the photo today you can see there is clearly a berries behind the flower ...confused ..oh yes I am

11. kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Silver surfer please bear with me i will do as you ask .... I am really new to this and you can see how difficult people are finding this ...including people in garden centres ....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Silver surfer

Ratings:
      +3,269
      Excellent.
      Thank you.
      You have no idea how helpful clear flowers pics will be to a correct accurate answer.

• Jay95

Jay95 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      The cluster of flowers are definitely swelling to produce fruit, the bush is huge and the flowers and fruit are in different stages. No doubt about it, the clusters of flowers are becoming berries!

• kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
      +9
      Yes you are right in the pic today ...but if you look at my pic taken in may the actual flower comes out of the branches .

• kevin reid

kevin reid Gardener

Ratings:
      +9
      Silver surfer you are not the only one who.thought it was a honeysuckle bush as you can clearly see a honeysuckle like stem and leaves in the bush ... knowing a little more now as I am gaining knowledge I can see that the leaves and stems do resemble honeysuckle. .. but we still have little flowers and no berries and forgive my ignorance but all the honeysuckle I have seen apart from them smelling amazing ..the flowers are big ..huge in fact