1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Canna ~2013~

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by HarryS, Jan 15, 2013.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Got them from jungleseeds ;) , and I think I should start them now , indoor .....finger cross ;)

ps as there are too many nice cannas , I`ve decided to start collecting the variegated and chimeras only ....I`ve managed to find almost all of them except for the thai rainbow , I`ve seen one in a restaurant in Thailand and was really tempeted to ask for one ;)

(Picture from Google)
    [​IMG]

if anyone can help to find one will really appriciate .....
    also a list of all variegated variety would help a lot ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,615
      Rhizomes from Jungle Plants that arrived at the start of the month seem to think its spring in my greenhouse..

[​IMG]
      --
      Canna Rosemond Cole
      Canna Konigin Charlotte
      Canna Cleopatra

Hopefully I can keep them over the winter although I will need to move them out for a bit at some point soon 'cos the glass is filthy !

• Like Like x 3
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Now the Thai Rainbow has stunning leaf patterns.:dbgrtmb: So , as Sal , I would love to know a supplier.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,998
          I did find a supplyer for the thai rainbow from thailand , but as he is a good supplyer , he told me to find a supplyer in US , as in thailand the 90% have been infected with the virus ....he had few problem before so he will not supply cannas anymore .

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          Given the several different ways of overwintering our Cannas I messaged Alice at Karchesky Cannas through Facebook after seeing photos of theirs that they had lifted and cut back before allowing the leaves to die back naturally and I got this friendly (as ever :)) and informative reply;

"Hi Michael, We winter our cannas full clump with some soil attached (as in that photo) that is placed in a plastic bag, and stored inside a cool greenhouse that is set at 50-55f (but sometimes gets a little cooler) as it can get very cold here in the winter months. The attached soil helps insulate and protect. The ones grown in pots are just stored that way with the foliage cut back as it fails. We leave some stem to help with nutrition to the rhizome as it settles in to storage, and also to act as handles to be able to handle the clump better.

We try to get ours in before too wet, also. Cool and wet seems to bring them down before storage. I like storing them earlier when in prime so they are not exposed to that. You can cut them back without waiting for frost. If you take them in drier and less stressed, they should last better for you. You can also slip the clump out of the pot if you think too wet and let dry a bit before setting back in.

I hope you were not affected adversely by the storm. We have been victim of hurricanes sweeping from the south many times. But no storms here this year, and grateful

Hoping I helped a little .. All best and take care, Alice"

• Like Like x 6
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Monty Don, on Gardeners World last autumn, did just that. I thought it odd, at the time, that he was cutting them down before frost and putting them in a plastic bag ... seems like that may be the way after all :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +28,496
              I have done it that way for 30 years or more but may be at a slightly lower temperature around 5c.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                So this year he's done something different! This episode he potted them, and said it was important that they were watered well over the winter ...

"Ask one gardner and get two opinions?" :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
                  Ratings:
                  +6,654
                  Saw that too Kristen, I must admit I was a little surprised when he said keep them well watered, unless he's keeping them warm enough to start growing again then surely they'll just rot off??

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  I wondered that too, but perhaps its different to Dahlias (for example)

His keeping them in a plastic bag last year (and as Karchesky also suggested) is going to keep them moist - although its a bit different to watering them during the winter ... every fortnight Month Don said ... seemed like a lot to me.

I was also surprised how much water he put on the vermiculite packing his Dahlias ...

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
                    Ratings:
                    +6,654
                    Well the time has come and mine have had the chop, all at angles to let any escaping water/moisture run off easily, I've also knocked them out of their pots and put them in plastic baskets to get a bit of air around them and dry them out a bit more, some still feel a bit too damp to me :)

I will of course give them more protection before it gets too cold, but it will be interesting to see how it goes this time as last year I let them die off before chopping them back. Perhaps that method allows too much moisture back into the rhizomes and that's why they rot off more easily?? Only time will tell, at least I have seed for all the Cannas I have so worst case scenario I'll start again from seed :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +46,155
                    I also dug mine up today, chopped off half the leaves and potted them up. I've cleaned out the greenhouse with Jeyes and will put them in there before the first frost. I've got same idea as you Bilbo, I'm wondering if I can keep them over-winter with a little top growth rather than let them go dormant.

• HarryS

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +16,246
                      When is a rhizome not a rhizome ?
                      As most of us are doing now , I lifted my Canna rhizomes today. Now my C Tropicanna have just completed their 3rd season and the rhizomes are as big as a football . I'll split them next year again so should get 6 plants from them :blue thumb:. My C Bengal Tiger ,first year from rhizomes, when I lifted them they separated into about 8 pieces. I have some fair sized rhizomes with about 3 stems coming from each , but also I have some single stems with a root( and eye ?) at the bottom as photo. Will these grow next year ?
                      I found this site while looking for rhizome photos, don't know if it has been linked in the previous 687 posts ! Its has some interesting sections.
                      http://www.cannas-australia.com/sitemap.html
                      TIA
                      DSCN1066.JPG

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +46,155
                      I have the same thing as you Harry, with a couple of my varieties, fingers crossed they will survive over-winter.

• Like Like x 1
                      • HarryS

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +16,246
                        John , the rhizome in the photo has an eye , so next spring if I remove the old stem and plant it 3/4 deep eye up , it should grow . Cannas do seem to propagate from rhizomes very well , you can at least double your stock every year. I gave a few away last year to friends and family , everyone was very impressed with them :dbgrtmb: Surprisingly not many people have heard of Cannas , even though they are quite widely stocked in garden centres

• Agree Agree x 1