Canna's on the move

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bilbo675, May 31, 2011.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Well now it's almost June and with lighter winds and warmer weather (given to get much warmer too) I have potted on 3 of my Canna Altensteinii's into larger (5lt) pots today and planted 3 into a prepared bed on the patio. The plants are now between 24" & 30" in height and starting to throw up suckers; they would have gone out before now but the cooler and windy weather has put me off.

I have grown these in pots before, but usually 3 plants in a 45 lt pot, this time I'm keeping them seperate, hoping it will be easier to protect them in the winter. One may well end up in the 45lt pot again though.

I have also planted 3 into the ground, in a prepared bed in the patio, it's semi shaded and sheltered from prevailing winds. This is a bit of an experiment, before planting I dug down about 12-18" and placed various absorbant materials at the base and mixed it lightly with the soil, I then put a plastic pipe in (you can just see it in the picture) and back filled, the theory being I can water through the pipe as well as around the plants as they grow and draw their roots down, thus saving on some watering - I hope.

In the autumn I may lift these or try and heavily mulch them and cover them with something to try and protect them, I've not decided yet..

All were top dressed with a scattering of chicken manure pellets and watered in...:thumb:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Wasn't planning to use it with my Cannas, but for the trees we plant I use perforated drainage pipe - a loop around the rootball and then one end bent up to the surface. It holds a fair bit of water, and releases it to the surrounding soil "gently"

Dunno if you can buy it in short lengths though (the one I use is 60mm dia)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +90,027
        They look well Bilbo.

I've not grown altensteinii so will be interested to see how they go.:)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +47,867
        I like the plastic watering pipe idea. I have a feeling we are in for a very dry summer so that will help preserve water :thumbsup:

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        [​IMG]

Bilbo - you have encouraged me to bring mine out today. At the back in a 50 litre pot are 2 plants from my seed packet that said C. tuerckheimii. But I think we have agreed thats just another name for your altensteinii. I am really keen to see what size they get to.

In front in a 35 litre pot is a beautiful bicoloured 'Cleopatra', kind courtesy of Pete.

• Like Like x 1
        • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          Well possibly due to the dry weather one of my Canna altensteinnii's planted in the ground is producing a flower bud; about 5/6 weeks earlier than they have in the past and they also much shorter, but very healthy so I'm not too concerned as it may produce me with a goof chance of harvesting some seed later this year :thumb:

The ones in large pots are a bit taller and the speed of their growth has increased noticeably over the last week or so :thumb:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            I've got all of my 15 Cannas in 12 large pots which I placed outside over 3 weeks ago. I had to move them out of the Greenhouse because it was get so crowded that I couldn't get in it!!
            They're placed in different spots all over the garden so I'm keeping an eye on them to see which does the best and seems the "happiest". They also get a weekly feed of MiracleGro to keep them moving.

Let us know how your Cannas get on, Bilbo, it'll be interesting to see how those you've put in the ground compare to the ones in the pots:D:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +47,867
              Interesting you have flower buds already. I had a good look at mine tonight and no signs of any flowers yet.

You haven't had much rain them Bilbo?

We have been deluged, saw my post above:

:DOH::DOH::DOH::DOH::DOH:

Well I got that wrong!

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
              Ratings:
              +6,654
              Hi John, we have had rain, but nothing like what many parts of the Country have had, on the whole I would say it's still be relatively dry whilst not always summery round here; plus much of our garden is very free draining....

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
              Ratings:
              +6,654
              Even though both have been fed regularly and I've made sure they've both had ample water the ones in the pots are growing taller; both though look very healthy and are suckering freely...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                Is it possible that Canna's in pots grow better than those in the ground because Canna's like have a restricted root:scratch::what::D

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +90,027
                Regarding Cannas in pots as opposed to growing in the ground.

My theory for what its worth is the same as for many tender plants, the pot warms up faster than the ground and in good conditions reaches much higher temperatures than the soil is ever likely to reach in the UK.

Add to that a good balanced compost and water exactly where its needed, as well as the feeding and the plant is likely to mature much faster.

I'm not sure Cannas particularly like restricted roots, come to that I dont think any plant actually likes restricted roots, its just that it makes some plants flower earlier due to being pot bound and distressed.
                Which on occasions suits gardeners.:D

• Like Like x 4
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  Thanks Pete, that's logical and interesting and something to throw in the pot of theories:stirpot::D

• JWK

Ratings:
                  +47,867
                  I'm glad you said that pete, my first year of growing cannas and I've got them all in the ground without thinking that there would be any other way.

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +4,015
                  [​IMG]

Pete I would agre with you that a well looked after pot plant can often be better than one in the ground. But if its not well looked after then the ground is much better. Your 'Cleopatra' above is looking really good. And the leaves are blemish free.

[​IMG]

Bilbo - I am interested that your C. altensteinii is starting to flower. Mine (above) looks healthy but no sign of any buds yet. However I am fascinated by the apparant spikes, which are new leaves rolled up very tight before they open. I suppose it must happen on other Cannas, but it seems much more pronounced on altensteinii. Because the leaves are so long and floppy, they are tending to get a bit torn in places, and I feel it looks more like a Banana than a Canna. :) Its a really nice plant and I will certainly be repeating this.

• Like Like x 3