1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Canna's on the move

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bilbo675, May 31, 2011.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Guys, can anyone suggest me where I can buy some canna stuttgart seeds?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I got mine via E-bay, Sal, but Stuttgart is another matter.:scratch: It's supposedly generally available as a Rhizome. but seed???:dunno::D Also because of the kind it is. in colour variation. it's also likely to revert to green only, which makes growing it by seed a bit dicey in getting a true form.:rolleyespink:

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    • Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Although I've bought my Canna seeds through E-Bay I'm still a bit wary as to whether or not my seeds will be true. Hopefully each with have been pollinated by the same variety for each. I suppose it's a bit like tomatoes and the F1 varieties not coming true from seed. They reckon that only the Species Canna will come true from seed. Myself, I'm not too worried about my seeds not coming true as any deviation will be interesting. :D

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Thats a good Ebay find Bilbo :dbgrtmb: I have saved it for my 2013 planting plan !! As I have more than enough Cannas planned for 2012 . I do buy some seed from the USA sellers, without any problem , delivery is about 9 to 14 days. Just watch the postage though, most charge around $2.50 - $3.00 ( £1.60 - £2.00 ) which is very reasonable . But some try the £12 P and P trick, so you avoid them.:cool:

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I've already got my own C.altensteinnii seed and have bought some 'paniculata' and 'speciosa' seed too for next year;

Here's the two additions, can't wait to get them going :D;

Redirect Notice

Redirect Notice

I may add another couple but I'm trying to resist the temptation to go mad :D

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Oh, come on, Bilbo, you just know you won'be able to resist......go for it!!!!:D:loll::yess:

• Like Like x 1
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Thank you Armandii , I`m looking for seeds for the simple reason that is impossible to find any Stuttgart rizhomas or if I find them they are sold out..........actually after read you post I just had a quick search and you are right !!!! it a sort of F1 apparently a chimera plant : (.
        I would like to thank you all for the nice canna treat , i`ve redescovery cannas after getting trough all the picture and helpfull imformation and finally understand what I was doing wrong . Can wait to chip my seeds :D

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, I guess we've just gained another member of the Canna Gang, Sal!!:D If we all keep each other up to date on how we do next year that will be great.:yess:

The information I've got on Canna "Stuttgart" is:

STUTTGART; [syn. C. Striata] Tall. This potentially beautifully cultivar is derived from C. Heliconifolia. The foliage is long and slender in pale sea-green with irregular silver and white markings. However, it is rarely seen without scorch marks. To avoid bad scorching, it really needs to be grown in light shade and with adequate moisture, and even then it sometimes succumbs. Growing to about 2m [6 and a half feet], it is eventually topped by small, apricot flowers. Its variability means that it is prone to reversion to the plain green form. Adequate stock should always be grown to allow for selection of good forms. It was imported to the USA by the late Bob Hayes of Brooklyn Botanic Gardens from the Stuttgart Botanic Gardens.

It is a nice looking plant, Sal, but, unfortunately, it's an unstable variety not guaranteed to keep true even in plant form.:dunno::cry3:

My information is that after nicking the seeds you soak them for 48 hours in warm water, is that right, Guys???:scratch::D

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        Thank you again Armandii , unfortunatly I don`t have a massive garden , so will only grow 6 species plus i will try to buy a stuttgart in spring , never seen one but they look stunning. About 5 years ago i collect some red indica in the Carabbian while I was on Holiday , chipped them and I had my first lots of free cannas , I dag them out in autumn and they die, I didn`t know that they need to be keep moist , 3 years ago i both a big lot and left them in the ground , mulched them , but the frost killed almost all of them except for the bengal , then both some more from wilkinson and they looked strange the leaves looked all curled and I found out about the canna virus...all in the rubbish .....almost gave up with them .....but last February i was looking around and found some old canna seeds including the one I picked up in the carabbian 5 years ago , chipped and finally got some virus free cannas in my garden ....btw the canna indica is still alive in the greenhouse .....really looking forward to grow few more this year.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        I was meandering through Hart's site and they have Canna Stuttgart in stock and for sale..............but the price is a bit steep at £12 for a rhiizome, Sal. Too be honest, my garden is given over to herbaceous borders and a cottage style gardening and so my available space for Cannas is limited. That's one of the reasons why they're all in pots so that I can put them in places where pots would be suitable in various parts of the garden.

The virus is a worry for us all, I guess, as it's still present in stocks sold by Nurseries and Retailers according to Harts. We'll just have to be careful where we get are stocks from. Opinion seems to be that the virus isn't carried in seed but, for me, the Jury is still out on that.

My first Canna I bought many years ago, before the virus was present, in a packet from a Retailer on the High Street. That was in the days when I was just starting to turn the Builders nigfhtmare of compressed earth, mud, bricks, timber and plastic sheeting into the semblance of a garden. I hadn't a clue about bulbs, rhizomes or what a Canna was or needed to be kept alive. Needless to say, the Canna only lasted a season!! I'm like you though, Sal, looking forward to the Spring and what it will bring:D

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        A question.................According to Jungle Seeds recommendations I should sterilise the potting compost by putting it in the Micro Wave on High for ten minutes before sowing the Canna seeds. Also they recommend boiling the water before wetting the compost with it, after sterilising the pots. Has anyone done this when sowing their Canna seeds:scratch::D

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,640
        In my opinion its just seed catalogue jargon for,"if it dont grow, dont blame us".
        Canna seed are no more likely to need this kind of treatment than any other seed.

On the otherhand if the seed is not fresh..............:)

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Thanks, Pete, that's what I wanted to hear!:D I've put the seed in the Fridge for the moment. Should I sow now or in Spring???:scratch::D

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,640
          Personally I'd wait till at least Feb with the longer days.
          If you have lights then now would be OK.

• Like Like x 1