1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Canna's on the move

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bilbo675, May 31, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    February's fine, Pete:D I'll just chew on my finger nails until then:fingerdrum::fingerdrum::heehee: Thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated:thumbsup:

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi Armandii, I agree with Pete, I'd definitely wait until mid-Feb, even early March. The thing is some canna seed will germinate within days and before you know it you could have sizeable plants well before its safe to harden them off and put them outside. If you do them now and haven't any where warm with plenty of natural light to grow them on you could end up with leggy weak plants; waiting another 6-10 weeks now won't (I don't think) affect the end result come late late summer :thumbsup:

3. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Bilbo, I was in a quandary about when to sow the Canna seeds as I've never sown them before, so believe me everything bit of advice and benefit from other peoples experience is really appreciated, so thanks:thumbsup::D

. All of the Cannas I've got at the present were sourced as rhizomes so that I could get, hopefully, true varieties and the number of those at the moment stands at 14 varieties but the actual number of plants is near 20. But if I have success with the sowing it'll take me over the 20 mark which, in truth, is about as much I as I can handle, at least for this year. :D I've actually bought a heated propagator and so I've got the options of using pots or modules in which to sow the seed. Any thoughts on which would be best, Pete?, Bilbo.?

:merryC:

4. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi again, I think it's down to your personal preference Armandii, 1 seed per module will allow easy potting up with no root disturbance once they are big enough, but I've never had problems sowing 4-5 seeds in a 3.5-4" pot and then teasing them apart when potting up, never lost any; so I think it all depends what you feel confident in :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Thanks Bilbo, I think I might try a mixture of both to see what happens. Have a really great Christmas and New Year.:thumbsup::D

:xmasbanner::reindeer:

• Like Like x 1