1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cape gooseberry advice please

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by wilroda, May 15, 2010.

1. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Couldnt resist a baby Cape Gooseberry plant on sale at my local garden centre!

Can anyone advise me on whether to grow it in a large pot outside or in the greenhouse. I gather it can get quite big so I doubt i will have enough room in my GH.....

Does anyone have any tips on growing them? i read somewhere that you should nip out the growing tip at about 18 inches......

Thanks!!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I just let them grow, I dont do any pinching out at all.

A 10in pot the first year will be fine, kept in a warm spot outside you should get some fruit in late august and september, even october.

Feed like tomatoes.

At the end of the season, cut back hard and dry out the pot, it will survive in a frost free shed or garage till next year.
    When it will be even bigger.:D