1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Car problems due to lockdown

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Well went though the mot today with no problems, so not really sure what the cause of our problem is.
    Think some more tyre checking / swapping around is the place to start....

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,852
    If the car has been laid up for a long time through lockdown, check to see if the 2 tyre's which you didn't change has got a flat spot dew to siting in the same place for a long time with out moving, just a thought

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Good point, but not the case in this instant.

At 14 years old beginning to think it might be time to look as something newer, the only trouble looking at the reviews of many more modern cars, of a similar small family hatch size, is that they rave about all the bells and whistles, but virually at the end just happen to say. 'though the ride is quiet firm' we want something thats comfortable and helps soak up these pot ridden roads, if there is such a thing ...:dunno:

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,607
      Over here, there is a glut of new vehicles at the dealership due to covid belt tightening and there are lots of great deals to be had on 2020 models because 2021 is due to be launched soon and last year's must go. Hope it is the same there and you can get a bargain :)

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Yes, just reading how the uk new car market for July was up 11% on 2019.

The dealers are offering lots of new incentives and 1 Sept is the day of a new registation plate which lots of folk will wait for.

Probably looking for something a year or so older, no longer want the privilege of driving a new car of the dealers forecourt only to see its value has dropped a few thousand !

• Agree Agree x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          If you are looking for a more comfortable ride, make sure you don't opt for the "sports" version of your chosen car. They often have firmer suspension and larger wheels fitted with low profile tyres. This can give a hard ride. I found Autotrader excellent to view the different model versions and prices. Also YouTube has good reviews of most models.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            Something that struck me...Ouch.

My little car is destined for the scrap yard, due to the Mayor of London's new ultra low emmissions zone etc. Sorry but, as much as I agree to changes. I find that some of thes bods in power are becoming very dictatorial.
            Suddenly out of the blue. Take a look at the TV ads. There are thousands of electric cars all lined up for sale. Tell me. There isn't some kind of political back hander involved.

I recall a saying by a top Met Commander. Trust no-one.

Please. Stop the world. I want to get offfffffffffffff.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,541
              ....And the reason for that is they are to expensive to buy and there's still not enough outlets provided for re-charging.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,311
                Have they dropped the age at which you're allowed to drive? :scratch: :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 3
                • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                  At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                  Ratings:
                  +49,476
                  It is actually quite a difficult one that one, as most manufacturers have ploughed their resources into SUV's, leaving the hatchback market to soldier on a bit. One definitely to avoid is Vauxhall - seats in those have been rock hard for years, with BMW not far behind in those stakes. Ford are probably about the softest seats I can think of, and suspension pretty good too (all of this is comparatively you understand), with Nissan pretty good also. Qashqai is much softer seated and sprung than the Juke in my experience.

Mazda are well worth a look, as they are pretty good at that fine balance between ride and handling. Shame you need a hatchback rather than a saloon or I would be suggesting a look at a used Jaguar XE or better still an XF.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,629
                    Going back a bit, but I had a Mondeo ghia some years ago, the ride was soft, and if you took a bend too fast its was pretty unnerving, terrible thing, was glad to get rid of it.

Only go for something that holds the road now, I'll put up with the bumps. :biggrin:

Anyway, thought I'd tack this on here, it looks like a sensor on the back of my rear view mirror, probably obvious, so prepared to look an idiot.:biggrin:
                    But what does it do??

DSC00194.JPG

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,476
                    Most likely the grid sensor for the auto wipers - may even contain a light sensor for the auto lights. Sometimes they mount a camera there for lane departure systems and automatic speed sign displays, but they usually look more like a camera and are mounted directly to the windscreen

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,629
                      Ok, I was thinking of covering it up and seeing what didn't work.:biggrin:

Auto lights makes sense, but I dont have any lane departure stuff.

There appears to be one stuck to the centre of the windscreen, I assume that one does the wipers.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,476
                      Yes, the grid sensors are most often physically attached to the windscreen (not always), so that one is probably the wipers, and the one on your mirror will be a light sensor for the lights.

It is not unknown for them to shove the GPS sensor in the mirrors too, but that is quite uncommon. If ever you need a replacement windscreen, make sure you tell them about these sensors; there have been horror stories of people getting the wrong screens or sensors and mirrors being damaged by fitters who don't have a clue what they are dealing with.

If you have a QuickClear heated screen, that has to be mentioned too - and it is definitely worthwhile keeping the plenum drains on those cars clear too, as any wet crud at the bottom of the screen can corrode the tabs that supply the power to the screen.

• Informative Informative x 2
                      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,097
                        Following on from my earlier comment. Here in London, there is the dreaded, 'Congestion charge zone, in central London, that has gradually widened out to include New Cross. Fortunately for me, being registered disabled and in receipt of the higher rate Motability allowance. I pay NO road tax and I am exempt from paying the congestion charge. Not that I have any intention of driving in central London. Had enough of that, using blues & two's.

Recently the Mayor decided to introduce the Ultra Low emissions zone. This includes the South Circular road. This is basically my borderline. Feel free to use google maps. My location is. SE9 5EZ. Once this new zone comes into force. I, and many others, despite disabled bits and bobs, won't even be able to drive to the original congestion zone. Unless the charge is paid. To top this. My car which is in A1 mechanical condition and having less than 38k on the clock, is condemned under the scrappage scheme. When mentioning cars that are classed as classics. In the context, I was told. You will still be able to use your car, outside the restricted areas.:wallbanging:

Daughter Amanda is scrapping her car this week under the scheme. It's a Citreone, electric handbrake and all that, but it's desiel. She's getting 2k for it and has just learned from the scrappy, he will also payer her scrap value. Good for her.

• Like Like x 1